FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cropping to a given size/aspect ratio ?

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Reed
Cropping to a given size/aspect ratio ?
on Jul 9, 2020 at 1:28:40 am

How to?

I have a 1920x1080 image. I wish to CROP (not resize) a portion of that image while retaining the 16:9 aspect ratio. End image size needs to be 1280x720 for a YouTube thumbnail.

So what I need to do is to be able to size the crop area to 1280x720, and then move that around on the bigger image to crop the area I want.

Please note I have photoshop ELEMENTS 11, not the full PS in case that makes any difference.

Also if there's a better/easier way of doing this (eg a free program) I'm all ears.

Thanks

"Commitment is the enemy of resistance, for it is the serious promise to press on, to get up, no matter how many times you are knocked down." - David McNally

"There are no rules in filmmaking. Only sins. And the cardinal sin is dullness." – Frank Capra

Return to posts index

Jeff Hinkle
Re: Cropping to a given size/aspect ratio ?
on Jul 9, 2020 at 1:07:40 pm

I don't have Elements, but this should work in there as well.

Select your Marquee tool (M) and in the top info bar set Style to Fixed Size. Set Width to 1280px and Height to 720px.

Click once in your image and you'll get a marquee selection that size. Position your cursor inside the selection and drag it so it surrounds the area you want to keep.

Then select Image>Crop. Photoshop will trim away everything outside your selection.

---
It is easier to destroy than to create.
More fun, too.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]