FORUMS: list search recent posts

leaving eyes blue in a desaturated 'black and white' image

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ruby Gold
leaving eyes blue in a desaturated 'black and white' image
on May 3, 2019 at 6:33:38 pm

Hi there. I have a portrait of someone that I'd like to make a black and white image but with the blue of his eyes as the only color. I have an antique version of PS - but it works okay for me. I did the following:

Duplicated layer with original color image
Desaturated the bottom layer
On top (color) layer, I selected just the blue iris of the eyes, then selected inverse and deleted, so that only the blue iris was left in top layer.

For some reason, the blue color is not showing up - the image just the black and white.

I did this exact same procedure with another image - a glass of ice water with a lemon in it and kept the yellow of the lemon as the only color in a black and white image and it worked.

Anyone have any ideas why it's not working with the eyes?

thanks much!

Return to posts index

Jeff Hinkle
Re: leaving eyes blue in a desaturated 'black and white' image
on May 3, 2019 at 7:55:22 pm

Hard to say without seeing your screen. Sounds like that should give you the result you want provided you're in RGB color space, not viewing a single color channel, or have a blending mode selected on your eye layer. I will say that if your "antique" version of Photoshop offers Adjustment Layers, you'd likely get better results using a Black and White adjustment layer (which allows you to better control the brightness values of individual shades) and just masking out the eye area you want to keep in color.

---
It is easier to destroy than to create.
More fun, too.

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on May 4, 2019 at 10:35:41 am

The first debug step would be to see if there's anything on the top layer by turning off the visibility on the bottom one.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 10, 2019 at 6:52:29 pm

Eyes layer on top, And check the blend mode and opacity.

Return to posts index

Ruby Gold
on May 10, 2019 at 9:31:52 pm

Thanks so much for all the suggestions and encouragement. In the end, I found a solution for both the portrait and the glass of water with lemon that was different from any of the suggestions offered, but I'm happy with the results. Thanks again to this community for your willingness to try and help!
Ruby

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]