FORUMS: list search recent posts

Applying filter to a multiple layers, and export them to multiple files with the filter applyed in CS6

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Filipe Garcia
Applying filter to a multiple layers, and export them to multiple files with the filter applyed in CS6
on Feb 17, 2019 at 3:09:12 pm

Hi,

I think the title is kind of explicit to what I want, or need ☺

I want to apply the same filter to multiple layers. I already group those layers, and convert it to a smart object, as I seen on multiple tutorials over the web. I then Apply the filter and it works. but I need to export those layers into files, but with the filter applyed. When I try to edit the smart object, the filter disappear...

How can I do this? I'm using Adobe CS6.

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: Applying filter to a multiple layers, and export them to multiple files with the filter applyed in CS6
on Mar 6, 2019 at 5:26:14 pm

In essence, you will have to apply the filter to the individual layers, not to the smart-object composite.

Whether the image will actually look the same in the end depends on the filter and the blend modes of the layers concerned.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Filipe Garcia
Re: Applying filter to a multiple layers, and export them to multiple files with the filter applyed in CS6
on Mar 7, 2019 at 9:03:34 am

I really don't understand Photoshop. You can do this with After Effect, Premiere, you can do this with almost any video, and audio software, but you cannot do it with PHotoshop??!??!? Why?!?!?? I mean, today, with those software types you can turn on, or off, any effect, by layer/audio track, so why is it so complicated with filters and image??!?!? You can add non destructive reverb/delay to an audio track, and other effects with audio editors, you can add non destructive saturation to a video with after effects/Premiere, but with Photoshop you can't?!?!?? For me this is completely nuts!!!!!!
Anyway thanks :)

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Mar 7, 2019 at 9:26:26 am

You're talking about a similar situation that you would have in After Effects if you precomposed a set of layers, and added an effect to the precomp. How are you going to export the individual layers inside the precomp with the effect that is applied to the precomp included in the individual layers? You can't. You will have to apply the effect to each of the layers if you want to export them individually. OR you would have to turn off all other layers except one, export the precomp, turn on the next layer, export the precomp, etc.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Filipe Garcia
Photoshop don't keep up with other Adobe software...Photoshop way of working is complex, and is stuck in the past
on Mar 7, 2019 at 11:07:13 am

ok, but I just have to copy and then paste the effect to the layer I want on that precomposition, and If it is too much I just turn off the effect, or change its parameters easy!!! Also you can past more than one filter/effect at the same time to a layer on that composition...you can have multiple effects on each layer of that composition... with photoshop if you want to apply more than one filter to a layer, you have to do it individually, with control F, and still you cannot do this with saturation, or any image color adjustments, right???!? It is crazy... On an audio software aditor, i can always change effects parameters, at any time, non-destructively... I can change the delay of a track, Reverb, etc...

I mean, the way photoshop still works is beyond my comprehension... it is dated... It is surreal for me that if you apply a filter you can only undo it with the history windows... wouldn't it be easy if you can edit and mess around with all these effects, filters, color correction, etc, the same way you add other effects, like Stroke, etc, on blendin options??!?!? Why Smart objects, adjustment layers, etc???????? Why not keep it simple?!?!?

I don't understand Adobe... Photoshop way of working is complex, and is stuck in the past...

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: Photoshop don't keep up with other Adobe software...Photoshop way of working is complex, and is stuck in the past
on Mar 7, 2019 at 5:10:43 pm

The two programs work differently, so you can't do the same exact thing in the same exact way in one program that you've learned in the other.

Smart objects actually allow you to do what you want, you just have to turn all of your individual layers into smart objects rather than doing it to the group, in order to do what you describe.

You can drag the entire set of smart filters from one layer to another to move them, or alt-drag to copy them from one layer to the other.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Filipe Garcia
Re: Photoshop don't keep up with other Adobe software...Photoshop way of working is complex, and is stuck in the past
on Mar 8, 2019 at 12:21:31 am

Thanks ☺ That's exactly what I want, well sort of... I cannot add saturation, or any image adjustments, besides filters, can I? :(

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Mar 8, 2019 at 9:17:55 am

No, not directly. You will have to use adjustment layers for those things. But if you stick them in a folder, it is easy enough to manipulate them as a group.

There's always the option of recording an action to apply all the filters and effects you want and batch images through it.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Filipe Garcia
on Mar 8, 2019 at 1:42:37 pm

ok, thanks. I find it to be much easier to work with images, even with software that wasn't meant for it such as after effects, at least with frames... with Photoshop you have to work around everytime... that's odd... thanks :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]