FORUMS: list search recent posts

trying to match colored tree water reflections

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Iverson
trying to match colored tree water reflections
on Dec 18, 2018 at 7:56:40 pm

Just like the subject says, I'm trying to match water reflections. The yellow reflection on the left of the attached image is the actual water reflection of the tree; on the right (the orange tree) is an inverted original. I'm trying to get the orange tree to water reflect almost identical to the yellow. I thought this would be simple, but it isn't. Just doing a motion blur isn't enough and makes it look too unrealistic. I've tried combining standard gaussian blur with motion and then it's too much. I can sort of get what I want with heal, using the yellow as source, but something's still not right. Suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kay
Re: trying to match colored tree water reflections
on Dec 21, 2018 at 10:15:15 pm

If you are trying to match the distortions created by light bouncing off of non-still water, then that is not going to be easy.

What would be easy is to get rid of all of the original reflection and then artificially create the entire water reflection. A reflection replacement just like a sky replacement.

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Dec 22, 2018 at 8:28:23 am

I think you're on the right track with using motion blur. Although it is hard to tell from the tiny reference shot, I suspect that it is a relatively long exposure which essentially gives you "motion blurred" reflections as the waves move some during the exposure. The question is how to get the needed organic variation into it so that some parts are blurred more than others.

You might want to try generating a selection mask with fractal noise that has been blurred and then squished vertically. That way you can use the selection (or layer mask) to vary the amount of motion blur in different parts.

For an even more organic look, or for final touches that break the fully directional motion blur, you could try the smear tool.

A light touch with the wave effect could give you the needed variation without actually smearing the reflection further.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Jon Iverson
on Dec 22, 2018 at 12:25:13 pm

Kalleheikki, that sounds like a good method maybe and one I haven't tried. Can you suggest any tutorials or instructions for these methods? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Dec 23, 2018 at 7:34:59 am

Most of them should be straightforward enough. Is there something that you specifically need help with?

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Jon Iverson
on Dec 23, 2018 at 1:09:13 pm

I think I'll probably be able to get by. Problem is, I no longer use Photoshop, but Affinity Photo. Many times, I can follow tutorials meant for Photoshop, but in this case, not quite working out because Affinity still lacks some Photoshop functions. And I don't yet see a forum here for Affinity, so I couldn't ask there.

Anyway, thanks for trying to help. I may be able to do it, but won't be nearly as simple as it would have been in PS.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]