FORUMS: list search recent posts

Layer Behind Another Showing Outline

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeffrey Call
Layer Behind Another Showing Outline
on May 14, 2018 at 7:37:45 am

Hello,

I'm hoping someone in this forum can help me. I'm not the most experienced user of Photoshop, but I know enough to get myself in trouble. Here is the issue I'm trying to resolve.

I have a composition that has three layers. The front layer is a black paint stroke. The middle layer is a photo. The back layer is the same paint stroke as the front (duplicated), but with a color overlay, in this case, yellow. I plan to animate these layers in After Effects, adding a linear wipe to the black brush stroke, which will reveal the picture on top of the yellow brush stroke.

I have everything in place, but have run into a very aggravating problem. Even though the black and yellow brush strokes are the exact same size (remember, the yellow was duplicated and left in place), you can still see the outline of the yellow layer. Wouldn't it stand to reason that, if the black layer is the exact same size, it would completely cover (i.e., hide) the yellow layer below it? I need to have the yellow layer completely hidden in order for my animation to work.

I have wracked my brain and searched for two days trying to find a solution to this issue and have come up with nothing. Maybe I have my search terminology wrong. I don't know. In any case, if anyone has an answer for me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: Layer Behind Another Showing Outline
on May 14, 2018 at 3:43:28 pm

Photoshop: The problem is the edge pixels are semi-transparent, so the other layer shows through the semi-transparent pixels.

However, you don't need to worry about that in this situation, since all you need in After Effects is a wipe that reveals the picture on a yellow background (size of the entire layer, not masked) and a black and white track matte over that layer in the shape of the brush stroke to mask them both out in one go. If you use more than one layer for the yellow-to-photo wipe, you'll need to pre-compose it in order to use a track matte.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Call
Re: Layer Behind Another Showing Outline
on May 16, 2018 at 9:02:29 am

Thanks for the explanation and the tip! I'll give your suggestion a shot.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]