FORUMS: list search recent posts

Feathered edges not completely opaque

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Corey Pike
Feathered edges not completely opaque
on Mar 16, 2018 at 9:48:05 pm

Greetings, sorry, but I could not find a solution via search.

I am trying to feather the edges of an image that is part of a photoshop file. When I make my selection, choose the feather amount and I select the inverse and then delete the back ground the image feathers but the edges don't go completely opaque. You can still see the edges of the image.

I cannot seem to find some sort of control that allows the feather to go completely opaque. Please see image below.

Thank you for any help you might be able to provide.

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: Feathered edges not completely opaque
on Apr 2, 2018 at 11:58:42 am

You are running out of image area. Feather works both outwards and inwards. Thus you need to contract the selection by the feather amount before feathering.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Corey Pike
on Apr 2, 2018 at 5:03:54 pm

Kalleheikki, thank you so much for responding.

So I have played around with the amount of feather but I still get the same result. Increasing the feather amount just change how for in the image the feather begins but I still see the edge of the image. The image does not become completely opaque at the edges of the image. I just don’t see what I’m doing wrong. Is there a way to adjust the opacity of the edges of the feather? Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Apr 3, 2018 at 5:52:55 pm

You can use curves or levels to adjust the mask directly, moving the fully transparent cut-off point (fully black or fully white depending on your settings).

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Apr 12, 2018 at 2:32:58 am

You have to contract the size of the mask before you feather it. Or if its too late to do that you could use a levels filter to crush the blacks of the layer mask and then blur it back up. You may have to do that few times to get the feather you want. This will reduce detail in your mask though. Better to start with the right size of mask (smaller than the image area you want to feather.)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]