FORUMS: list search recent posts

Texture Map Question

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Morrison
Texture Map Question
on Sep 26, 2017 at 3:42:45 pm

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction for some research as I haven't been able to find exactly what I'm looking for in google or here.

I have a customer (coming to me for answers even though this clearly isn't something I do) that has a fabric store for furniture remodeling and they have high resolution tiff's of their various fabrics and want to convert them into high quality texture maps for SketchUp, 3D modeling software, VR/AR applications, etc... They want the texture maps to give a 3D representation of fabric. For example one pattern is corduroy and they want to show the various ridges in the pattern. And they want a file format that is as universal as possible.

Can anyone suggest where I could learn more?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Texture Map Question
on Sep 26, 2017 at 8:06:42 pm

They're not too likely to get rich off of it and most 3D fabric textures these days are created procedurally vs. from photos- but here are some basics:

https://medialoot.com/blog/how-to-make-a-seamless-texture-in-photoshop-redu...

https://www.pixplant.com

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Matt Morrison
on Sep 27, 2017 at 12:55:45 pm

Thanks! I don't think they are trying to get rich per say. I'm guessing they've been approached by either a furniture manufacturer or app developer to provide textures of their fabrics for use in an AR app similar to what Ikea just launched for iPhone/Android (mainly because he kept showing me the app and saying how impressive it was). He's just concerned that most of those platforms tend to show flat texture maps and his products are more about depth of the fabric.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Sep 27, 2017 at 6:30:00 pm

Yeah definitely the end result would depend on the quality of the 3D modeling than anything.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]