FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shape/Selection

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Maëlle Jumel
Shape/Selection
on May 2, 2017 at 7:14:12 pm

Hello,
I would like to know if it's possible to create a shape directly from a selection please? For exemple I have made a rectangle selection somewhere on my layer and I would like to create a rectangle shape directly on that without having to do it approximately by zooming in.
Thanks!

Asus Windows 10 PC
Intel Core i5 6300HQ CPU 2.30GHZ
RAM 8GB
Nvidia GeForce GTX 960M
After Effect CC 2014 13.0.0.214

Return to posts index

Jeff Hinkle
Re: Shape/Selection
on May 2, 2017 at 9:39:13 pm

Absolutely. Just draw a selection, go to the Paths palette and click the Make Work Path from Selection button at the bottom (fourth from the left, looks like a circle with 4 small squares). That will create a new path the exact size and shape of your marquee selection.

---
It is easier to destroy than to create.
More fun, too.

Return to posts index

Maëlle Jumel
on May 14, 2017 at 6:40:39 pm

Thank you Jeff but that isn't exactly what I want to do :
If I do that I'll have the size and shape of my selection but I will still have to place it where I want on my layer and it won't be exactly like my selection (unless I'm very very precise).
What I mean is, for example in After Effects, when you double click on the rectangle selection tool, it fills up the whole comp size.. I'm not sure I'm very clear but basically if there's a feature like that when you double click or right click and "Rectangle from selection" or something?

Asus Windows 10 PC
RAM 8GB
Nvidia GeForce GTX 960M

Return to posts index

Jeff Hinkle
on May 15, 2017 at 1:57:35 pm

I guess I'm not understanding what you want to do.

Any selection you make can be turned into a shape in the exact shape and position as the original selection by clicking the "make work path from selection" button.

If you want to select the entire canvas a' la After Effects, it's simply CMD/CTL-A. (Or Select>All)

If you want to create a rectangular shape from a non-rectangular selection, you can snap guides to the edges of your selection and then snap your rectangular path to the guides.

If you can provide a more specific example of what you want to accomplish, maybe I can better steer you down the right path.

---
More fun, too.

Return to posts index

Maëlle Jumel
on May 29, 2017 at 5:46:22 am

Well for example I have this selection :
And if I make a work path from selection I'll have the "brush" for this exact rectangle but I will have to place it exactly where the selection is.. Am I making myself clear?..

Asus Windows 10 PC
RAM 8GB
Nvidia GeForce GTX 960M

Return to posts index

Jeff Hinkle
on May 30, 2017 at 2:05:41 pm

Still not sure where the positioning problem is coming in. I made a marquee selection around your middle box (left image), clicked "make work path from selection" (middle image), and received a vector path the exact size and position as the selection (right image). Unless I misunderstood and that's not what you're after?

---
More fun, too.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]