FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adjusting Colors to Other Desired Colors Using Curves (Match Colors)

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Freets
Adjusting Colors to Other Desired Colors Using Curves (Match Colors)
on Aug 31, 2016 at 6:18:18 am

I can't seem to wrap my head around this ...

Below are two images. Using Photoshop, I'd like to create a curves layer that will adjust the colors taken from one of the images below to the other.

In this second image (color2.png) shown below, here I have 6 original colors:

Top row from left to right is: Black, Middle Grey, and White
Bottom row from left to right is: Red, Green, Blue

In the first image below (color1.png), I have 6 colors that I want to essentially apply to the second images (colors2.png) above.

So the goal here is to create some curve that would essentially match as closely as possible the colors from one image to the other. However, I'm not sure how to do this in Photoshop or how to best approach this?

Hmmm, are there any techniques that can be used to do this? Or, perhaps this is not easily done simply by using curves in Photoshop?

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: Adjusting Colors to Other Desired Colors Using Curves (Match Colors)
on Sep 1, 2016 at 1:15:22 pm

You'll need a paper and pen:

1) Check with the eye picker (set to something like 5x5 average) and jot down the RGB values of your target image circles

2) Similarly write down the RGB values of the source file circles

3) Add a curves adjustment layer to the source file

4) Taking one channel at a time (starting with R), find the x axis position of the R in the source image for the first circle, add a point there, make sure the input R value below the graph matches and type in the target R value.

5) Do this for all six circles for the R channel

6) Do the same for all six circles for the G and B channels

7) You will likely get some funky curves. Adjust so that they don't look like a mountain range, more like a smooth curve that goes in the upward direction throughout.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]