FORUMS: list search recent posts

Simulate (Magazine and/or Newspaper) Paper

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gigi Marzo
Simulate (Magazine and/or Newspaper) Paper
on Aug 23, 2016 at 10:51:28 am

Hi,
I think that is the first time I write in this forum (photoshop), but I'm regular in "after effects".
So I need an help. I'd like to simulate a magazine (old)paper for my artwork. Recently I'm getting more passionate about collage art, so now I'd like to try to create a digital artwork which looks like a "analog" collage. Let's get a little light on the subject, I have done this digital collage but it seems very very digital (and imperfect, I know), so I would, however, like it looks like similar at this or this other one or this other one too (the first one is the perfect example, is my concept idea). So to make something how the single levels is been cut from a (old) paper and/or "vintage paper" and after stick together. I'd love to simulate a collage like the first example.
I hope I've been clear about it, and I hope that you can help me.
So thank u in advance and sorry for my bad english.

P.S. I'm not quite sure at 100%, but I have red that the first example is digital art not analog.

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: Simulate (Magazine and/or Newspaper) Paper
on Aug 23, 2016 at 11:37:50 am

If you start with high-quality photos, there are many steps to take before you have something that looks like a newspaper collage. Some of the things I can see in the first example are:

1) Oversaturated CMYK colors
2) Halftone print pattern, even print registration problems (offsetting the CMYK channels in different directions some)
3) Rough cutout (not perfect) with a bit of a white edge for the paper thickness
4) Small dropshadows under the cutouts
5) Combination of different quality prints, as well as black and white.

What I can't see there but could be used:

6) Old newspaper textures overlays
7) Bent edges where the paper has "folded" to show the backside at the edge
8) See-through mirror image of what's printed on the back side of the page.
9) Scratches, folds, cracks
10) Other dirt (coffee stains, water damage)

Hope that helps.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Gigi Marzo
on Aug 26, 2016 at 7:53:51 am

Firstly thank u for ur time and for ur reply!
So, I'm a not an expert in photoshop (the very opposite), but ok I understand what u told me... but I need to know how I can simulate this (or this) kind of print, so (old?) paper printed effect. To copy and paste in one "artwork".
Maybe I have to do it through textures? Or I have to work with curves, filter or something like that?

I don't know if I got it across.
Thank u again.

Return to posts index

Dominic Deacon
on Aug 26, 2016 at 8:33:47 am

If I'm understanding what you're after right you're trying to simulate the actual texture of the paper? You probably want to play around with blending modes. Google "textures" and find something that looks about right for what you're after- "grunge" textures should give you the dirty edges and what not that you'd see in old print. Place the texture layer over your image and then switch the blend mode of the texture layer to Overlay or Soft Light.

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Aug 26, 2016 at 12:55:39 pm

If you want something that is easily updated with new artwork, you can use smart objects.

Here's an example of an image (before and after) that I made to look like an old magazine print with many of the effects described in my earlier post.

I'll have to upload the PS file somewhere else, it's about 350 MB....

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Gigi Marzo
on Aug 26, 2016 at 1:11:52 pm

First of alla thank u again to Kalle Kannisto and to Dominic Deacon !
@Dominic I tried to do that, but it's not ok, it's look like a very very fake picture.
@Kalle yes. That's (one of many) look I'm looking for. So I'm waiting for ur file.psd upload, so I can study it to understand (I hope) how to do the things described in your first post. Thank u!

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Aug 26, 2016 at 1:19:24 pm

The photoshop original is here in dropbox (for a limited time):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/48h1h56js43jsg3/Old%20magazine%20image.psd?dl=0

Double-clicking on the layer image of the "Original" layer will open in a separate window. If you put a different image in that document and save it (don't close the original file in the meanwhile), it will update with all effects applied in the original.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Gigi Marzo
on Aug 26, 2016 at 2:57:49 pm

Thank u. But I don't want replace your original photo with my pictures... I'd like to know/understand what u do and how u do it: comparing what you have written to me in ur first reply with what I see in the psd.
If I can ask, have you done in the example .psd everything you wrote in ur first reply?

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Aug 26, 2016 at 4:10:39 pm
Last Edited By Kalle Kannisto on Aug 26, 2016 at 4:13:54 pm

Well, I can tell you what is happening in that file. Layer by layer, from the bottom:

"Taso 1" ("layer 1" in Finnish): The image as a smart object with two filters, halftone screen and a slight blur

"Taso 1 kopioi": Same as previous except that only the cyan channel is output and the layer is offset by a couple of pixel, simulating a printing registration inaccuracy for the cyan plate

"Taso 1 kopioi 2": Same as two previous except that only the magenta channel is output and offset to simulate a registration shift for the magenta plate

"Käyrät" (Curves): A curves adjustment to blow out the high end of all channels, to pull down black to a dark grey and to adjust the image toward a sun-bleached print (reducing magenta)

"Selectiivinen värikorjailu 1" (Selective Color Correction): Additional color adjustments to further enhance a sun-bleached color scheme, especially to take out most of magenta, the color that fades faster that the others over time.

"Taso 3": A mirror image of magazine page with type to simulate show through from other side of paper.

"Taso 0": A paper texture used to "wear out" the image slightly

"Taso 0 kopioi": A colored version of same paper texture to add old, yellowed paper look

"Taso 2": A layer with folds, scratches and grain to further degrade image like it was worn from use

"Kirkkaus/kontrasti 1" (brightness/contrast): Slight oversaturation of colors through contrast

So these effects basically cover points 1, 2, 6, 8 and 9 from my original post.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Gigi Marzo
on Aug 27, 2016 at 12:41:07 pm

A very very big thank u!

P.S. I don't want take advantage of your kindness but would be super-great to try to do an example with the others missing effects/point too. :D

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Aug 27, 2016 at 3:35:42 pm
Last Edited By Kalle Kannisto on Aug 27, 2016 at 3:47:54 pm

Here's how the cut-out effect would look. The cut-out was made with the polygonal lasso tool, somewhat sloppily, which makes it look like it was cut with scissors. There's an emboss effect to create the thickness of the paper and a slight dropshadow to separate the cutout from the background.

The little folds and cracks at the edges are not something that can be automatically generated, at least not very easily, but this already works quite well without those details. The coffee stains and similar dirt would be an overlay of an image containing such, in the same way the old paper texture was added.

Here's the photoshop file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3trc4bfiwvid8x8/Old%20magazine%20image%20cut-out....

One other thing came to mind: You could make the cut-out image 97-98% opaque, leaving a couple of percent show-through from the layer behind. More realistically, the image area behind the cut-out would be blurred, not sharp. It's a very subtle effect. And not all papers are show-though.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Gigi Marzo
on Aug 30, 2016 at 2:19:56 pm

Sorry for late but a BIG thank u.

:)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]