FORUMS: list search recent posts

Whats the best way to get clean white product background, for a lot of pictures?

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Allard DePallerd
Whats the best way to get clean white product background, for a lot of pictures?
on Aug 16, 2016 at 11:16:10 am

So I have 300 product iimages of fish. They look like this

Every image needs to have a clean off-white background, but the shadow and reflections of the fish on the materiaal needs to remain. I know how to do this..but I need to find the quickest way to do this...and preferably a way to automate (PS actions) a part of the process...

My main problem 'protecting' the fish from the background change... I need to make a selection of the fish for this.. And i have tried selective color, the lasso tool ,the pen tool (which is best but very time consuming), the magic wand tool etc etc. The magic wand seems to be the fastest so far.. but everytime the edge of the fish.. nears the background color...it doesnt select properly.. so there's is no failsafe way to quickly select the fish right?

And concering the background... how would you guys make this a consistent off white background in all the images.. just make a new background layer in PS and mask in the fish? Or is there a way to do this, so its easy to keep the fish and shadows (blend mode?)...

thanks guys, any help to automate this or make this faster is apprectiated!

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: Whats the best way to get clean white product background, for a lot of pictures?
on Aug 16, 2016 at 2:44:39 pm

I would not try to retain the reflection: it is lighter than the background. But you can get the fish and the shadow, including any reflections within the shadow area.

I would try making the selection with the quick selection tool.

Then make an action that:
1) saves the selection
2) inverts the selection (selects the opposite area to what is selected)
3) curves the background lighter so that is is white right to the edge of the shadow, but not the areas outside. You can put a stop in the action here to confirm the step or to adjust the curve before continuing.
4) widen the selection by a given number of pixels, enough so that the shadows become part of the selection
5) invert the selection
6) feather it some and
7) fill the background with white.
8) Finally load the saved selection and
9) invert it and then
10) switch to the dodge tool with highlights, 5% strength.

Then you can manually clean up any remaining areas that the action may have missed.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]