FORUMS: list search recent posts

Batching Action Still Only Saves One File

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Beaven
Batching Action Still Only Saves One File
on Aug 4, 2016 at 3:03:41 pm

Hi,

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate and Photoshop CC 2015. I want to create two actions: one which resizes the image to 1600px wide and saves for web and another that does the same thing, but also flips the image horizontally. I want to be able to process a batch of all the images in a folder. The first one works fine, but when I try to include the horizontal flip and process a batch, only one image is saved. I can't work out why this is. I've recorded the action several times, but I always get the same result. Please can some suggest how I can include the horizontal flip in my action and still process all the images in a folder?

Thank you,
Joe

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: Batching Action Still Only Saves One File
on Aug 5, 2016 at 4:40:43 pm

The "override action save as command" option is messing with you. It has messed with me for 20 years, and I still can't remember logically which way it works, and I usually have to try it both ways. With one setting (probably "ON") the batch only saves a file when there is a recorded "save as" step in it, overriding the naming (I believe). The other option ("probably "OFF") is more useful if you don't have a save step recorded.

One combination (probably the one where you have a save as action but have the "override" OFF) causes all the file to be written with the same file name, i.e. you end up with just one file.

So, if I have this right:

"OFF" works when there is no save as step in the action.

"ON" works when there is a save as step in the action.

And doing it the other way you end up with one file or none.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Joe Beaven
on Aug 5, 2016 at 5:01:23 pm

Thanks Kalle, it's working now.

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
on Aug 5, 2016 at 7:07:40 pm

You can also do this with a freebie called XNView. It does multiple operations as batch processes. Resizing and flipping are part of that. It will save to an assigned directory and either preserve or delete originals. (I vote for preserve.)

You can also batch rename with any sort of preset you like after.

Return to posts index

Joe Beaven
on Aug 5, 2016 at 7:27:19 pm

Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]