FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adjust backdrop color to specific swatch.

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Chance
Adjust backdrop color to specific swatch.
on Jun 28, 2016 at 10:25:48 pm

Hello!

I have been tasked with cleaning up some images from a studio shoot. Either the seamless backdrop was the wrong color, or was lit badly and needs color needs adjusting. I have the backdrop as its own layer, and need to adjust its color to match a specific swatch (RGB, CMYK #'s provided). There is some gradient due to the lighting setup, so it wont be consistent all over (with the swatch), but that is OK.

I can only see how to adjust the hue, saturation, lightness in the options i have tried (adjustment layer, replace color etc.). I need to input the RGB or CMYK #s and apply that to adjust the color of the backdrop (layer) overall.

Appreciate any help! Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dominic Deacon
Re: Adjust backdrop color to specific swatch.
on Jun 28, 2016 at 10:36:13 pm

Is it a strong colour? If the colour that you need to replace is similar to the backdrop in the photo then you should be able to just select the background with the pen, the lasso or- if your lucky- just the colour select tool and then paint over the old backdrop with the colour you want. If the backdrop is very different then your mask has to be excellent and that method is probably not worth your time but it's a process I use on most photographs I take (even though I don't have to hit a certain specified colour) as it just neatens up the backdrop nicely.

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Jun 29, 2016 at 8:12:01 am
Last Edited By Kalle Kannisto on Jun 29, 2016 at 8:13:20 am

Use a curves adjustment (layer) and adjust the individual RGB or CMYK channels to shift them from their current values to the desired value range.

Since you have an essentially flat color, the color range will show up as a peak in the color channel histogram. Select one channel at a time in the Curves dialog (R,G or B) or (C,M, Y or K) depending on your document color mode respectively. You can see the input (current) value and the output (after correction) value below the Curves adjustment graph. Click and drag the point vertically where the diagonal adjustment curve meets the horizontal center of that peak until the output value is correct.

My interface is in Finnish, but this is the basic idea (example with green channel selected):

Return to posts index

James Chance
on Jun 30, 2016 at 4:22:07 pm

Thank you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]