FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need to alter aspect ratio of images in Photoshop but the crop tool does not do it??

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Barker
Need to alter aspect ratio of images in Photoshop but the crop tool does not do it??
on Feb 12, 2015 at 5:05:24 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to create an A4-sized photoshop document which has nine images on it, laid out 3x3.

The images I'm importing are jpegs that I have extracted from a video clip, so the aspect ratio is 16:9
If I keep the aspect ratio as it is then it's impossible to lay out the images in the A4 document without some becoming obscured by the adjacent image. I have tried to crop the images a million times so that they can fit on the page 3x3 but every time I try to duplicate the cropped image in my A4 document it reverts back to its old 16:9 aspect ratio.

Please can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?? It seems like it should be really simple to do so obviously I'm making a mistake but I've looked up lots of tutorials and forum posts and I can't find a solution anywhere.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
Re: Need to alter aspect ratio of images in Photoshop but the crop tool does not do it??
on Feb 12, 2015 at 6:12:31 pm

I'm not exactly sure what your process is here, or what exactly you are trying to do...
But from what I am understanding, an easy way would be to make a clipping mask. Create a document the full size you need. Create a 3x3 box (you could easily make a new document 3x3 and fill white and drag to your other document). This will be Layer 1. Open an image that will be going into a box, drag it to your document. This will be Layer 2. Make sure Layer 2 is above Layer 1. Right-click Layer 2 and select Clipping Mask. This will use the box as a matte and you can position/scale/do whatever you need to Layer 2 to get it to fit into your box. If you need to move the box around, you can move Layer 1 and reposition Layer 2 within the box. Do this for each additional layer.
Hope this makes sense and is what you need!
Good Luck!
TC

Return to posts index

Kendrick Drews
Re: Need to alter aspect ratio of images in Photoshop but the crop tool does not do it??
on Mar 12, 2015 at 4:52:51 pm

You could also go about it this way:

Open all documents to be edited with one additional blank document ( final) that is the size you need.

Crop your photos individually, make a save copy.

select the move (v) tool and drag your cropped photos to the blank image.

Arrange and save and you're good to go.

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Mar 18, 2015 at 9:53:32 pm

Same problem with still from CS5.5.2 PP
Simply UNTICk > Constrain Proportions in > Image Size > and alter pixels ?

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Ps Worth a try ?

4x3 format SD tape import looks ok on monitor , but, the DVD produced does not display correctly ? The format looks slightly thinner in width?
This question is Assumed Answered.
Bob Dix Community MemberBob Dix Mar 5, 2015 6:47 PM
I have been archiving old Hi- 8 SD tape and when displayed on the PC monitor looks right. And looks correct on a TV Monitor.

But, the DVD when produced looks right on a TV monitor but, thinner when imported back as a DVD into Adobe Premiere Pro , how can I adjust this ? I know a 1,000pixels instead of 720 would fix the issue, i have checked it in Photoshop.
I have others that need extra editing, as the previous Sequences have been removed from the computer ?
91 Views Tags: Reply
Translate
Average User Rating: No ratings (0 ratings)Average User RatingNo ratings(0 ratings)
Your Rating: Rate Poor(1 of 5)Rate Below Average(2 of 5)Rate Average(3 of 5)Rate Above Average(4 of 5)Rate Exceptional(5 of 5)
1. Re: 4x3 format SD tape import looks ok on monitor , but, the DVD produced does not display correctly ? The format looks slightly thinner in width?
RoninEdits Community MemberRoninEdits Mar 5, 2015 6:59 PM (in response to Bob Dix)
usually this is caused by pixel aspect ratio. premiere usually reads it properly, but if it doesn't you can change it to a new value. in the project bin, right click the file(s) and choose modify, interpret footage. there is an option for pixel aspect ratio, you can try some till one looks right. the 1.21 or 1.45 might do what you are looking for...
Correct Answer
Like Show 0 Likes (0) Reply Actions
Translate
2. Re: 4x3 format SD tape import looks ok on monitor , but, the DVD produced does not display correctly ? The format looks slightly thinner in width?
Bob Dix Community MemberBob Dix Mar 6, 2015 9:14 AM (in response to RoninEdits)
Thanks, I'll give it a go................................ and yes, it worked.............
Correct Answer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]