FORUMS: list search recent posts

Top Layer Gets Selected No Matter Which Layer Below I Select

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tom edwards
Top Layer Gets Selected No Matter Which Layer Below I Select
on Apr 9, 2014 at 3:13:30 am

I'm teaching myself photoshop and am actually getting pretty good at it. I'm guessing I've changed a setting somehow and need some help.

Let's say I have four layers in a composition (sorry, it's the AE in me).
And let's say one layer is text, one is a bkg, two are photos.

BKG - bottom
Photo L1
Text L2
Photo L3

(they would actually appear the opposite in the layer panel)

And let's say I select the text layer. I highlight it and click the move tool to reposition the text. Then when I left click on the text in the viewing window, the top layer gets selected instead -- and only that layer moves.
Now if I select the text later and ctrl-T, then and only then can I move the text layer.

this is now happening with every layer. no matter which one I select and attempt to move it using the move tool, the top layer automatically selects.
i've been teaching myself PS for about six months and for the life of me I don't think I've seen this prior.

I'm guessing I changed a setting.

any ideas?

Return to posts index

tom edwards
Re: Top Layer Gets Selected No Matter Which Layer Below I Select
on Apr 9, 2014 at 3:18:37 am

i just figured it out. somehow i ticked the box next to "auto-select" in the top panel. unticked it and all is well in the world. (why would anyone use auto-select?)

Return to posts index

Emily Carmichael
Re: Top Layer Gets Selected No Matter Which Layer Below I Select
on Jul 9, 2014 at 1:34:49 am

If you have lots of discrete layers (like layout objects) and you want to be able to rearrange them without referring to the layers panel.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]