FORUMS: list search recent posts

Film/Video Preset sizing question

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin OBrien
Film/Video Preset sizing question
on Feb 19, 2013 at 8:11:53 pm

I'm trying to create a DVD menu for Encore in Photoshop CS5 . My video project footage is 1920x1080 HD... so I have selected the "DV1/DV NTSC WIDESCREEN (1.21)" in the Pixel Aspect ratio dropdown in Photoshop to work with my Menu jpg Image.

When I create a new PS file with this film/video preset and drag a photo into it the image has vertical blank space on both sides.

My Question is... am I suppose to drag the sides of the image out to match the Photoshop doc size... and will the photo look that STRETCHED and BAD when it is onscreen?

Thanks in advance for input...

Return to posts index

Kevin OBrien
Re: Film/Video Preset sizing question
on Feb 19, 2013 at 10:22:52 pm

Update...

I scaled up an image proportioanlly to fit the 720x480 size in the Preset document... and it looks reasonably good.

When I uncheck the Pixel Aspect Ratio setting (in the View Menu)the image "squishes" to become more narrow... I'm assuming this is how I want it... correct?

Return to posts index

Simon Modery
on Feb 20, 2013 at 9:12:30 am

The "Pixel Aspect Ratio" in the View Menu simulates the non-square pixels. When it is unchecked you see the pixels as square pixels, when you check it you see the pixels in whatever pixel aspect ratio you selected (in your case NTSC pixels).
So it see your material as it will look on a DVD you need to keep it activated.
To be clear on it: This function only changes how you view things, it doesn't actually change your image.

Head of Postproduction
Motherlode

http://www.simonmodery.com

Return to posts index

Kevin OBrien
on Feb 20, 2013 at 11:43:51 am

Thanks Simon for your fast reply...

So if I'm working in Photoshop on a jpg (square pixels...on my monitor) should the photo look "normal" with the PAR Correction turned OFF? The reason I ask is that the image looks compressed in from the sides with PAR Correction OFF.

My logic might be flawed (nothing new :)) but why does the PAR Correction warning state that it is "only for preview purposes, turn off for better image quality" ... and when I turn it Off the quality of the JPG doesn't look "normal"?

Thanks in advance for any additional input...

Return to posts index

Simon Modery
on Feb 20, 2013 at 11:51:48 am

Well, your image needs to look correct (non distorted) with the PAR Correction turned ON. It then should look distorted with PAR OFF.
What they mean by "turn off for better image quality" is that the PAR Correction makes the image look slightly pixelated. So if you want to judge outlines of a font or the general sharpness of an image you better do it with PAR OFF.

Head of Postproduction
Motherlode

http://www.simonmodery.com

Return to posts index

Kevin OBrien
on Feb 20, 2013 at 12:00:39 pm

OK... I see. Thanks so much for the explanation.
Cheers Mate!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]