FORUMS: list search recent posts

new to PS. transparency question...

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lon Waitman
new to PS. transparency question...
on Feb 7, 2013 at 7:58:17 pm

hey , i normally use fireworks, but some plugins i like no longer work in it, so am finally trying to learn photoshop...

i have a stock image collection and the software with it creates .tiff's with transparency. when i bring a .tiff with transparency into fireworks, the background is transparent (yay). but when i bring in the same image into photoshop (cs5 or cs6), there is an opaque background. i notice there is an alpha layer, but i need to have the background transparent. how do i do that?

btw: i can bring the same .tiff into FW and save it as a png and then bring it into PS and it DOES have a transparent background, but i prefer to not have to waste so much time with this work-around, since i use a lot of these images.

thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Lon Waitman
Re: new to PS. transparency question...
on Feb 8, 2013 at 11:17:17 pm

i know people are crazy busy, but if anyone has any brief insights, i would really appreciate it.

Return to posts index

Jerel Peterson
on Feb 19, 2013 at 11:27:11 pm

Not likely, but is it possibly that in your Preferences you have the Transparency settings messed up? For example, if your Transparency grid size is set to None, you will just see a solid background.

Return to posts index

Lon Waitman
on Feb 20, 2013 at 1:04:06 am

no, the grid is not set to "none" -- it is set to "medium". but thank you for giving me a suggestion anyways.

it appears that this is an unpopular subject, since it sat unanswered for 11 days. and it appears that there is no fast, intuitive way to work with tifs with transparency in PS. too bad adobe didn't take a cue from (imo) a better product (fireworks) and incorporate such a useful function.

Return to posts index

Jerel Peterson
on Feb 22, 2013 at 1:59:22 am

I don't know if I'm following your explanation correctly, but I certainly see transparencies in the tiffs that I work with. Is the background layer pure white, and you have other layers above it? Try turning off the eye of the background layer.

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Feb 23, 2013 at 11:49:59 am

Some applications treat Alpha Channels as transparency. Photoshop does not. If you want to use an Alpha Channel as a transparency in Photoshop then you'll likely want to record a couple of actions as it can be tedious if you have to do it for several images.

The process is:

1) Remove any locks from your layer (you can drag it to the trash icon in the layers panel).

2) Make a selection from the alpha channel (you can cmd/ctrl click the channel).

3) Apply your selection as a layer mask to your layer.

4) Remove any pre-multiplication by first applying the layer mask then using Layer > Matting > Remove Black/White Matte.

This can be a pain. However, Photoshop will use Alpha Channels for a lot of things other than transparency and can't simply assume that the alpha is transparency. I wish there were an easier way to convert an alpha to transparency in your case, but if there is I haven't found it!

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Lon Waitman
on Feb 23, 2013 at 11:58:47 am

thanks, darby. yes, that is, unfortunately, the conclusion i have come to as well. and that is one of several reasons why i prefer to use fireworks -- imo it is a faster, more intuitive program...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]