FORUMS: list search recent posts

Copy a layer from one project to another in CS6

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Norman Willis
Copy a layer from one project to another in CS6
on Jul 24, 2012 at 1:50:42 am

Hi. I am new to Photoshop. I hope this is a good question. I have Photoshop CS6. A friend made me two similar banners of the same size for inclusion in a website. I want to copy a layer from one project into the other one. How can I do that?
Thanks.

Norman Willis
http://www.nazareneisrael.org

Return to posts index

Jeff Hinkle
Re: Copy a layer from one project to another in CS6
on Jul 24, 2012 at 2:19:44 pm

There's several ways to do this. I don't have CS6 yet, but I imagine they haven't changed this functionality much.

With both images open, drag the layer you want to copy from the Layers palette to the new document. If you're using tabbed windows, select the layer in the Layers palette and then drag the layer from the image (NOT the palette) to the tab of the second document and wait for it to open. Then move your pointer into the new document and release the mouse. In either instance, if you hold Shift while dragging, the layer will center itself into the new document (if its pixel dimensions are different from the original) or place itself in the exact same position (if its pixel dimensions are identical to the original).

You can right-click the layer in the Layers palette, choose Duplicate Layer... and in the resulting dialog box, choose your new document from the Destination pop-up menu.

You can even do copy>paste, but I don't recommend it. That's a lot of data to have hogging up RAM you could be using for other things.

Good luck and welcome to Photoshop.

---
It is easier to destroy than to create.
More fun, too.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]