FORUMS: list search recent posts

selecting a country?

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nelson May
selecting a country?
on Jan 6, 2016 at 10:30:10 pm

I went into an after effects thread and go this response.

""I have done this many times in Photoshop. As long as the white outlines on your map are closed, you can select each country in Photoshop, and then use the New Layer VIA Cut command to put it in place, on its own layer. Then use layer effects and Color Overlay to color the layers the way you want them - this will allow you to easily change colors if you want - you could also use the Drop Shadow effect to kick out the country.

Bring your Photoshop file in to AE as a Composition, and your layers will be intact. Then you can animate them as you choose. You may have to convert your layer effects when the import to AE happens, but I can't remember exactly. I think it will depend on what version of AE CC you're using.""

I am not sure how to select a certain country to make the new layer. It is a .png file. Do I have to convert it to a .psd file, or use the lasso tool. The white borders are very defined and I can recolor any grey country I want. I am stuck from there.

If you have a tutorial, I would love to learn this trick. I have the CC 2015 1.1 release.

MBP 2.4GHz 4MB RAM, 30"cine, MAC PRO 2.6 8 core 6GB RAM, Mbox, Neumann TLM-103, FCP HD 7. Pro Tools 8, Adobe Creative Suite, Reason 3.0, Macromedia Studio, ProAnimator, HVX200 with Firestore v4.0

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: selecting a country?
on Jan 7, 2016 at 4:24:01 pm

Yes, save the file as psd so that you can have layers.

The magic wand tool will select and area in a similar fashion as the paint bucket tool fills it.

You will want to create a new layer for each country in order to animate them separately in AE. Once you've selected a country with the magic wand tool, select Layer>new layer via cut, and your selected piece will be cut out of the current layer and be placed onto a new layer by itself. Then you will have to select the original layer from the Layers palette and repeat for every country.

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
Re: selecting a country?
on Jan 7, 2016 at 4:40:38 pm

You can use the Magic Wand tool to select each country. Problem is, with some of those countries like Norway, Denmark, Greece - they have a lot of islands that you will have to add in. When you do the magic Wand on a large section of land in the country you want, then hold the Shift key and select additional areas that are part of that country, if you need to. Then add a new layer and you can fill with color on the new layer.
You may want to check out some basic PS tutorials as well.
Hope this helps!
TC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]