FORUMS: list search recent posts

DNG files

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Peter Meilleur
DNG files
on Jul 15, 2014 at 6:01:50 pm

Ok, so I have a friend whose wedding photographer (an amateur) sent her the files from the engagement shoot in dng format. She wanted to get some printed at walgreens, but you can't upload that file format so walgreens, so she asked me to convert them to jpgs so she could get some printed. However, upon opening the dng files in photoshop, they were all around 800x533px at 150ppi. Unless I'm just imagining things, every interaction I've ever had with a print shop demands 300ppi. The photographer insists these files are large enough for 8x10 prints, but photoshop is pegging them at being somewhere in the vicinity of 2x3 inches. Am I missing something about dng files here? Am I accidentally just opening some kind of jpg preview and not getting to the raw file? According to some quick google work the camera used (Nikon D5200) even at the lowest settings is producing images that are 2,992 x 2,000. I'd love to be wrong about these files being too small for good quality prints, but unless I am missing something about the dng format (which, to be fair, I don't interact with that much) I don't think I am. Anybody have any advice here?

Return to posts index

Kendrick Drews
Re: DNG files
on Mar 12, 2015 at 4:38:32 pm

Not to worry, you're not missing anything. .DNG files do not hold a full .JPEG preview within them.

All you need to do is open your .DNG and resize it in photoshop to the desired size and you shouldn't have any loss in quality.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]