FORUMS: list search recent posts

Scaling a photo results in a jagged photo

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pattie Olson
Scaling a photo results in a jagged photo
on Nov 19, 2011 at 11:24:18 pm

I am using a photo in a video that is a JPEG, 2488 x 3343, 300 dpi. I need the photo to be a large file because I have it enlarged in the video timeline to show a logo on a pocket, then the photo scales down in size over time. When the photo is large, the picture detail is perfect, but when I reduce it to show the whole photo, it looks jaggy and ugly. I've tried reducing the size of the photo to a point that I don't lose the definition I need when it is enlarged, but it still looks jagged when I scale it down. I've tried it as a BMP, TIFF, PSD with no luck. I use Premiere and have tried the same scaling down animation on my PC and on my IMac and get the same results, so I think I'm missing something that has to do with the photo file itself. If any of you photo pros could help out this videographer, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks, Pattie

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: Scaling a photo results in a jagged photo
on Nov 20, 2011 at 9:18:32 am

Have you tried scaling it to an even percentage? Like, 50%? Try scaling down with an even percentage, it might help. Also, make sure your image and your comp are the same PAR (pixel aspect ratio). Is your video project square pixels?

LittleBlackBird.net

GraphicsDump.com

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Dec 2, 2011 at 9:58:04 pm

Did you render it out, or are you just looking at the PPro preview render? When rendered out to a separate file, it should look a whole lot better. Well, that also depends on what file/codec and compression you render it to....
TC

Return to posts index

Pattie Olson
on Dec 2, 2011 at 11:33:31 pm

Thanks for your response.
I rendered it into a .mov then burned a DVD via Encore and it looked nasty.
This photo montage was for my nephew's Eagle Scout ceremony and I had the high quality digital file from the pro photographer which is what was getting ugly when I reduced it. I have a framed photo of him, so I scanned it at a high resolution, used it and it worked OK. I sacrificed about 10% sharpness when the photo was enlarged and close up, but ended up with a much nicer full photo of him when the whole photo was reduced to fill a little less than half the screen.

I had the photo large in the beginning, so that a patch on his uniform (which took up a third of the screen) dissolved in. I needed to have good detail there. Then it reduced to show the whole photo and in that reduction keyframing, at about 44% is when I noticed problems kicking in.

Luckily, it was shown on a large wall in a church, so it looked fine. I never got a chance to see it on my sister's nice TV, so I hope to get a look in a few weeks, then I'll be able to really judge the final quality. I had intentions to go back and try a few more things, but haven't done that yet.

Thanks again to all who responded for your help, it is greatly appreciated.
Pattie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]