FORUMS: list search recent posts

Altering Fonts

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Welch
Altering Fonts
on Nov 18, 2011 at 2:23:15 pm

Somewhat new to PS.

I'm looking for ways to distress or grunge up fonts. Are there filters I can apply to a font or must I purchase the types of fonts that already have these effects applied?


Return to posts index

Emily Carmichael
Re: Altering Fonts
on Nov 18, 2011 at 6:32:02 pm

Well there are lots of great free distressed fonts out there (start here: )

But you can achieve this look yourself by putting a layer mask on your text layer and using the brush tool to "scrape off" different areas. (Load up a brush set like Faux Finish to try out different brush textures.) You can also paste different texture images (like pictures of concrete or stone, for example) into your layer mask to get an all over texture to your font.

You can apply filters to text (you need to rasterize the text or better yet, make it a Smart Object first) but I don't think any of Photoshop's included filters are really what you're going for.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved