FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to color an ink spot that's overlaid using 'Screen'

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Winn
How to color an ink spot that's overlaid using 'Screen'
on Oct 19, 2011 at 10:04:53 pm

Hi,

I have the 'Riot Gear' software from Andrew Kramer's Videocopilot.net and was trying to use the ink splatters (stills) that come with it in Photoshop. Can get them to lay over graphics using 'screen' but am having a tough time figuring out how to change the color of the entire splatter. You can paint bucket fill parts of it one at a time, but figured there was a way to color all of it and have the color bright, not washed out because of the screen blending.

Thanks for any assistance...
Running CS5
Sean

Return to posts index

Emily Carmichael
Re: How to color an ink spot that's overlaid using 'Screen'
on Nov 18, 2011 at 6:49:27 pm

Hmm.... I'm not familiar with the particular image, but I see you have had this question since October, so maybe I can help.

Screen mode tends to be washed out, semi-transparent, and lightening, which is why it's often used for shines and highlights. Why don't you try different blend modes? You can also duplicate the same layer in "screen" and the effect will be intensified with each layer copy.

In general, to change the overall hue and saturation you use (surprise) Hue/Saturation under image adjustments. (click "colorize" for more options.)

You could also try "replace color."

If the issue is that your splatters appear on a white or black background, you may have to cut the background out to have full freedom (most of the blend modes that render the background transparent will also make the color areas slightly transparent.) Add a "reveal all" layer mask and then click "color range" in the "Masks" panel to mask the background out.

Hope that helps.

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Dec 21, 2011 at 11:15:14 am

Lots of ways to approach this!

There are several color correction adjustments that would work for this purpose: Levels and Curves come to mind in particular. If you lower the white output level on the red channel, for example, the white splatter will become more Cyan in tone (a mixture of Green + Blue). By changing the white output levels of the individual channels you can push the white of the splatter into any color.

An easier option, since this is a black/white image, might be using Gradient Map which maps the colors of a gradient across the luminance of the image. You could change the white side of the gradient map to cyan, for example, to get a cyan splatter.

Another alternative would be to fill a new layer above the splatter with whatever color you want the splatter to take on, set that color layer to the Multiply mode and then merge it with the splatter layer.

Also, 9 times out of 10 reaching for the paint bucket as a first step is going to give you pretty fugly results. I avoid it unless I'm working on masks.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Jan 2, 2012 at 4:16:36 am

CTRL+U or APPLE+U to adjust Hue/Saturation (click the colorize checkbox, brighten, then add saturation and move the hue slider to the desired color).

LittleBlackBird.net

My Blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]