FORUMS: list search recent posts

Photoshop for use in Final Cut Pro

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Orman
Photoshop for use in Final Cut Pro
on Oct 13, 2011 at 5:43:07 pm

Hi,
I'm a filmmaker working on a documentary, and I don't have any significant Photoshop background or training. But I'm having to work with all kinds of photos given to me by other people, with different formats, sizes, etc. So I'm wondering if there are any particular good training resources anyone can recommend on how to learn to use Photoshop, particularly just the basics you need to bring in photos at the right size, resolution, etc. to use in Final Cut Pro movies? I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks very much,
Neil

Return to posts index

Emily Carmichael
Re: Photoshop for use in Final Cut Pro
on Nov 18, 2011 at 6:39:58 pm

I have been there. I started reading up on aspect ratio and color space and it made my mind explode.

The key is to get your graphics exactly the right size in Photoshop and save them off as .pngs, so FCP doesn't have to do ANYTHING.

Open a new image, and use the "Film and Video" presets to make sure your new image has the same settings as your destination sequence in FCP (this will also keep track of pixel aspect ratio for you.)

Paste your photos into the new image and scale appropriately, and save as .png.

If you want to leave a little more room for Ken Burnsing around, I would increase the CANVAS SIZE of the new image (the one that was made with the film and video preset) to ensure you still have the right pixel aspect ratio, resolution, etc.

Return to posts index

Neil Orman
on Nov 19, 2011 at 10:58:27 am

Much appreciated, Emily!

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Nov 19, 2011 at 2:16:47 pm

Be sure to watch Cow Photoshop for Video podcasts

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]