FORUMS: list search recent posts

New file and the presets

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
zeke meginsky
New file and the presets
on May 11, 2011 at 5:01:42 am

I have a question about the presets when you make a new file. I'm interested in preparing a picture in Photoshop so that it will be friendly and retain the way it should to look on TV, in FCP and Motion. I just watched a video that says that if you select film/video under the presets and then paste a picture into the project, it will automatically be set and format itself to those settings, so really you don't have to do anything.

Is that true, you just make sure you have the film/video setting and Photoshop takes care of the correct ratio and dimensions for your picture? What about if it's a big picture, does it make it much smaller and lower quality (like to 720 X 480)? Because I'd want to retain the quality and size of the pictures..

Should it even be any bigger than that if it's eventually going to go to 720 X 480 when it gets compressed anyway and is on TV? This is really confusing to me. Can someone give me a few simple answers, thanks.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: New file and the presets
on May 14, 2011 at 4:29:16 am

Those presets are for dimensions, PAR (pixel aspect ratio) and color space. If you bring in a large photo (larger than the film/video preset you've selected) then you'll have to scale that image down to fit. It won't do this automatically. Another thing: there's an NTSC Safe Colors filter in Photoshop that you can apply so your colors will be broadcast safe.

LittleBlackBird.net

GraphicsDump.com

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: New file and the presets
on May 18, 2011 at 3:50:20 pm

If you use Place command... most sizing will be done (with ability to resize later as smart object).

Th NTSC filter is for standard definition, and is a bad idea unless going to an analog system. All NLEs know automatically remap color (or at least choose to by default)

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]