FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice on optimizing 8-bit/NES style graphics in Photoshop

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Preston Parish
Advice on optimizing 8-bit/NES style graphics in Photoshop
on Dec 22, 2010 at 3:46:42 am

Hello,

I've been making silly 8-bit animations to go along with chiptune music; originally I did them in Illustrator using a grid of paths, but that just takes too long for my system..

I've since found that Photoshop is delightfully easier to work with, provided that my image resolution is reduced to working with single pixels, as you'd expect.

My problem: how can I export this file so that it retains it's pixelated blockiness? I want to export the layers and include them in a 720p animation. Unfortunately, when I do, the resulting resolution screws up the image and I get these spongy looking blobs of color that are obviously a result of taking a low resolution to a high(er) res...

I get the sense that it may have to do with some sort of anti-aliasing?

I would REALLY appreciate any input on this. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Emily Carmichael
Re: Advice on optimizing 8-bit/NES style graphics in Photoshop
on Dec 28, 2010 at 1:40:45 am

It has to do with Image Interpolation, which is conceptually similar.... ish to anti-aliasing?

To export your graphics, first scale them up using "image size." Here's the trick: Under "Resample Image" make sure you pick "nearest neighbor (preserves hard edges.)" Your images will be scaled up with crisp edges intact.

BTW, if you want the freedom to scale elements up and down WITHIN an image (say you want someone's head to be bigger), the same image interpolation options exist within Preferences under "General." Here they apply to transformations of layers and selections.

I'd be interested to know what you use to do the animating. I use Flash. you can check it out here: http://ledoandix.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]