FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sideways text in adobe photoshop

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Kimball
Sideways text in adobe photoshop
on Oct 20, 2010 at 4:40:03 pm

First of all thanks for this forum.

I would like to add sideways text to give a photo credit for a photo on a DVD Jacket I am creating.

Photoshop gives me the option of vertical text where the each letter looks like its stacked upon the other vertically but not the ability to write a name sideways. I am sure there must be a way to do this.

To illustrate what I am looking for I have included a screen print where I used microsoft word's Word Art tool to do what I wanted. I prefer the crisp lettering in photoshop to word art so that is the reason for my question.



Return to posts index

Terry Mikkelsen
Re: Sideways text in adobe photoshop
on Oct 20, 2010 at 5:17:05 pm

The answer to your question is Cmd+T

However, I would be more prone to do this in a layout program such as InDesign. Here you will have all the controls that you need to layout the entire DVD jacket. There are templates available from various resources. This way you can then create a pdf for the actual printing. That pdf will retain all of the vectors you create, rather than a jpg or something which will convert it all to raster. (Raster images may not be to your liking, especially text which might become stair-stepped.)

Tech-T Productions

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: Sideways text in adobe photoshop
on Oct 23, 2010 at 2:38:16 pm

Photoshop is fine for this

There is both a sideways text tool (Click and hold on Text tool in toolbar to select it)

or Add a text layer then use Free transform command

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

jon leopold
Re: Sideways text in adobe photoshop
on Oct 24, 2010 at 6:38:38 pm

If the vector/ pixel based (rastor) files are of concern, then you should do it in inDesign or Illustrator as suggested. If not, photoshop is fine. As mentioned, the free transform (cmd T -keyboard shortcut) will allow you to rotate the text to the sideways position you want. While you are doing this, if you hold down the shift key it will help you position the text perfectly at 90 degrees. Added bonus, change the opacity in layers palette/window to make it a bit less distracting to the image while still maintaining the credit. Could also add a layer style.. even cooler.

Thanks very much... High School Media Teacher, multiple Macs (tiger and snow leopard- mac pros, imacs, emacs) and PCs

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved