<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bianca miller
photoshop graphics for fcp workflow
on Feb 22, 2010 at 12:06:32 am

Greetings...
I'd like to clarify some issues about creating photoshop graphics for use in
]final cut on SD and HD projects. i've been reading some conflicting info
that has been a bit confusing. So here are my questions~

1 . When using CS versions of Photoshop, do we still need to resize graphics created with
Photoshop film/video presets, or just create a PS document from the film/video preset and save/import that?

2. If working with earlier versions of Photoshop pre CS, we still create larger files and resize down unconstrained?

3. If using older FCP/Photoshop combos, do we need to set the pixel aspect ratio manually?

4. I've read FCP 7 and newer Adobe products have changed/conformed their pixel aspect ratio sizes.
Will this be a problem for those using combo of older software, and, if so, what is a good fix?

4. If we want to create zoom/pan/scan motion FX in FCP, is there a good rule of thumb as to
how large we should make the pixel dimensions (not the dpi)?

BTW - using CS3 Photoshop and FCP 6 on a macbook pro 10.5.8 (upgrading soon).

Any & all clarity welcome.....
Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: photoshop graphics for fcp workflow
on Feb 22, 2010 at 3:43:32 am

To answer

I'd suggest the book Photoshop for Video... there is a lot of misinformation out there

Answers

1 . Always use the Film Video presets. Personally I stick with NS for SD and Square for HD

2. Yes... but this is such a PIA. PS 7 is 8 years old.. good luck even getting it to run.

3. No... PAR is only for simulating on non video screens

4. No need to worry... difference is miniscule and the actual size of graphics didn't change... only how they are displayed

5. Take zoom ratio and multiply by output size i.e. 3 X zoom on 1080 HD means 3X1920 or approximately 6,000 pixels

Download the demo and run it out.

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]