FORUMS: list search recent posts

Logging and Sharing photos on a SAN, FCP-style

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Hansen
Logging and Sharing photos on a SAN, FCP-style
on Feb 20, 2010 at 12:14:47 am

hey all

i really didn't know where to put this question. there's no Lightroom or Aperture forums on the Cow. i also posted this question on the SAN Networks forum since i'm trying to do this on a SAN.

i have an ethernet-based SAN with 4 edit suites, a few MacBook Pros and some Minis. we have set up a nice logging system for video footage using Final Cut Pro. for tapes, we capture entire tapes and the footage is logged as subclips on the Mac Minis. same with all the digital sources too. all the shots from a single day are put into a bin and transferred over to a project prep FCP project for the editor.

for the first time, i'm working with a LOT of still images. in the past, the field producer would just submit some good pictures from the shoot or trip and we would have maybe 10 pictures per episode. now these guys are coming back with a few hundred images a day, from multiple sources. some are from our own cinematographers, and others are from professional still photogs that we've hired. long story short, i'm looking for a way to log still images the same way Final Cut and CatDV do for video. i looked at Lightroom, which i use personally and really like, but it won't create a Library on a network. it needs to be on a local drive. an alternative might be to put all the raw photos on the SAN, then create a different catalog file for each trip or TV show. but then to do searches, we would have to load a bunch of catalog files into Lightroom instead of the entire library. i would like to have the ability to access a central library/database from any computer in the office, and have it be searchable. can Aperture do this, or is it similar to Lightroom. hell, can iPhoto do this?? i've never used it.

thanks guys.

e

Eric Hansen - The Audio Visual Plumber - http://www.avplumber.com

Return to posts index

Eric Hansen
Re: Logging and Sharing photos on a SAN, FCP-style
on Feb 22, 2010 at 8:06:13 pm

does anyone have any suggestions? i'm basically looking for a way to centralize our image collection and allow it to be shared and searched among different users/computers in our office.

Richard, i was hoping to hear from you. i've been reading your book Video Made On A Mac and it suggests Aperture and Bridge for organizing images for a production workflow. but you don't address how to share those libraries/databases with other users and computers. one of my favorite features of Lightroom, is the ability to keep thumbnails and metadata on your laptop, while the RAW and full size images reside in another location. it would be great if we could have that ability with a shared system too, but its not required.

thanks

e

Eric Hansen - The Audio Visual Plumber - http://www.avplumber.com

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: Logging and Sharing photos on a SAN, FCP-style
on Feb 23, 2010 at 12:19:27 am

No easy answer

Bridge stores thumbnails and metadata in images and as sidecar files in same folder.

If using a server... this is fine.

-----------

If using Aperture... you can place files on server and have users import them as referenced files..... but each users library is there own. You can have a library on a server... but only one user can use it at a time.

Mutli-user photo management tools are exist, but not from Adobe or Apple (and can be much more expsnsive)

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]