FORUMS: list search recent posts

default save settings

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stewart Ward
default save settings
on Nov 13, 2009 at 7:04:45 am

Hello Cows!
My Photoshop CS4, if I hit ctrl s or an icon, *always* saves in tiff, even if I am working on a .psd. Can someone please help me correct this behaviour? I would like to save in .psd or whatever format I have open, with the default for new files being .psd.

thanks!

Stewart

Return to posts index

John Mensinger
Re: default save settings
on Nov 13, 2009 at 12:23:16 pm

This has always been kind of a weird thing in Photoshop. The Save settings try to be "sticky," based on previous saves, and/or characteristics of the file when opened. But, there are a lot of little factors that can come into play, like the presence of layers, transparency, color modes, bit depth, etc.

Not every format supports every image attribute. So for instance, if you open a GIF, make a selection, change a color, and hit Ctrl+S, Photoshop will "save over" the original in the same .gif format. But, open that same GIF and change its color space from Indexed to RGB, then add a layer. Now hit Ctrl+S, and Photoshop's Save As dialog will come up offering a format that supports layers and RGB...GIF doesn't...most likely TIFF or PSD.

I don't think there's a way to force a given format as default for saves, but once you understand the behavior I touched on above, it starts to make sense, and you'll learn when and why to expect it.

John M:
All of the vim with none of that annoying vigor.

Return to posts index

Stewart Ward
on Nov 13, 2009 at 5:44:47 pm

Hi John,
thanks for this! I was plugging away at it again for a while and created a few layers and so on and it did change, what i was doing before did not require layers, I just thought it might be a manual setting i was missing somewhere. Much appreciated.
Stewart

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Nov 18, 2009 at 3:41:35 am

File > Save As is always best option

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]