FORUMS: list search recent posts

Overlay Photo

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phillip Taylor
Overlay Photo
on Nov 12, 2009 at 8:26:34 pm

I want to overlay a photograph on top of an Xray to compare wher bone placement is on the photo. In other words, load the xray and then do whatever to load a photo over the xray, so that I can see the xray faintly through the photograph. I have Photoshop 7.0 but am truly a novice with it. However I would like to do this overlay today or tomorrow and need specific details on how to do it. I've read the help portion of Photoshop but being the dunce that I am, I just can't figure out how to do this.

Phil in Montana

Return to posts index

Micah McDowell
Re: Overlay Photo
on Nov 12, 2009 at 9:58:28 pm

I would open both documents, drag the photo layer into the xray document, and then lower the opacity of the topmost layer to taste by using the Opacity slider in the Layers palette.

You may need to select the topmost layer and go into free transform mode (CTRL + T) and resize/reposition it so they match.

Return to posts index

Phillip Taylor
on Nov 13, 2009 at 12:28:40 am

Thank you Micah. However when I pull the photo over the Xray and reduce the opacity to 50% or 30% or whatever, I cannot see the Xray through the photo. What I see is the photo with pixels over it and depending on the opacity, the brightness of the photo. I can resize and reposition the photo but can't see the Xray through it. Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

John Mensinger
on Nov 13, 2009 at 12:07:31 pm

Very tough to make recommendations without seeing the two images, but if you've got them on separate layers in the same file, you're set to experiment. The answer probably lies in finding a layer blend mode that does what you want. Use the blend mode drop menu at the top of the layers panel to sample the modes. I suspect Hard Mix might get you close to the desired effect, but you'll likely still have to play with opacity to fine-tune it. Make sure the top layer is active when changing modes. (Changing the mode of the underlying layer won't do anything.) You might also want to try flipping the layer order. With the Xray on top, Screen, Overlay, or Dodge modes might work.

John M:
All of the vim with none of that annoying vigor.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]