FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resize Compression?

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Than Baardson
Resize Compression?
on Nov 11, 2009 at 8:48:26 pm

Hey all,
I'm putting together a couple portraits on one canvas for print on a 17x22 sheet. I have the two jpg's that I've cropped to 8 in. x 10 in.
When I drag the image to the new canvas, it is larger than the 17x22in canvas. When I scale it back down to 8x10in., the image gets pixelated and is unusable for print.
I've had this problem with CS2 and CS3. I'm a beginner and need some advice. Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Art Doerge
Re: Resize Compression?
on Nov 12, 2009 at 7:19:28 am

Hi Than,

I noticed you're dealing with inches instead of pixels. Keep in mind that your computer monitor uses pixels, not inches. Images can vary greatly (in pixel size) and still show 8x10 "inches" in Photoshop's Image Size dialog. It just depends on that resolution setting and that, by the way, is only used to control your final print size. Regarding the images mentioned in your post, chances are they're of different resolutions, and that is causing confusion :-)

What you need to do is size your images paying attention to the pixel size. For example, if you want to print a 17 by 22 inch sheet, at say 300 ppi, you'll need a Photoshop document that is 5100 by 6600 pixels. Your 8 by 10 inch images would be 2400 by 3000 pixels.

Hope this is helpful.

Return to posts index

Than Baardson
on Nov 12, 2009 at 5:16:44 pm

Hey thanks Art,
When I adjust the pixel dimensions in 'Image Size', the inches are auto-adjusted. 2400x3000 pixels turns to 33.333 x 41.666 inches. What am I doing wrong?

Return to posts index

Art Doerge
on Nov 12, 2009 at 5:57:07 pm

Okay Than,

No problem, that's normal and correct; just click the "OK" button and the window will close. Now, re-open the Image Size window and this time remove the check mark from the "Resample Image" box. Notice that your width and height settings (2400x3000) remain. Now, change the resolution setting (in the Doc Size area) to 300 and you'll see that when you print, it will be an 8x10 print. Again, click the OK box and you're done.

Art

Return to posts index

Art Doerge
on Nov 12, 2009 at 6:31:30 pm

Than,

I forgot to mention that you could also change the resolution (to 300 for our example) first, by starting with the "Resample Image" box not checked. Then, you would not need to close and reopen the window. After changing the resolution to 300, you would then check that Resample Image box and change your pixel dimensions to 2400x3000. Now, you would click the OK button and the window would close. Either way works fine. The thing to remember is that the resolution setting is used for printing purposes and actually wouldn't have to be changed at all, until it's time to print. But when it is changed, the Resample Image box needs to be un-checked :-)

Return to posts index

Than Baardson
on Nov 12, 2009 at 6:41:52 pm

Aha!
The culprit was the 17x22in canvas! The resolution was wrong and that's why everything was expanding. Thanks for your help Art.
-Than

Return to posts index

Art Doerge
on Nov 12, 2009 at 10:27:52 pm

You're welcome Than, glad I could help :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]