FORUMS: list search recent posts

psd

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Margaret Col
psd
on Oct 4, 2009 at 11:02:22 am

I have just watched Growing Design Elements in After Effects
tutorial, as I want to learn to make animated flourishes. Right in the beginning he says to go to a site and to put the dings onto a PSD. How do you do this ? Everything that I have tried has failed, and I can not find any information on how to import something off the net to a PSD. I have downloaded the files but they are a True Type Font File. SO have no idea how to get them onto a PSd to use them. I am a new newbie at Photoshop, so really need step by step help. Thanks to anyone that replies

Return to posts index

Art Doerge
Re: psd
on Oct 4, 2009 at 10:04:18 pm

Margaret,

I see your post is 11 hours old, did you get the problem figured out or do you still need help? I don't have After Effects but will try to help if you still need it.

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Oct 5, 2009 at 12:19:19 am

By dings... you mean dingbat fonts.

Fonts are loaded into your OS. Standard system operation. See your computer's documentation on where to place fonts... varies by OS.

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

Margaret Col
on Oct 5, 2009 at 3:20:32 am

yes I still need help, and I would appreciate your help. With what I gathered from the tutorial I make the PSd in photoshop CS3. I am running vista. My understanding is that I had to get the ornamental fonts and put them on a PSD in photoshop. But I just can't work out how to do this

Return to posts index

Art Doerge
on Oct 5, 2009 at 7:29:43 am

Okay first of all, like Richard said, you need to put your downloaded ornamental fonts on your computer along with all your other fonts (that part has nothing to do with Photoshop). I'm on a Mac so I'm not familiar with Vista, but I found this web page....

http://www.lytebyte.com/2007/07/03/how-to-install-new-fonts-in-windows-vist...

After the fonts are installed:
Okay, let's start by just accessing one of your ornamental dings from within Photoshop and putting it on a new transparent layer. In Photoshop, open a new transparent document. Click on the "Type Tool" and in the options bar, where you choose your font, locate and choose one of your ornamental dings. Type any letter and you should see an ornamental ding in your document. You can resize as desired using the "Character" palette as Jayse did in his tutorial. From there on you should be able to follow the video tutorial and start taking the decorative font apart.

If you want to create and save a document full of dings like Jayse had, start by creating a new transparent document; you'll add your dings to that document. If the document turns out to be too small, it's easy to increase the canvas size later. Next, simply use the Type Tool to add your dings to that document. It might be good to separate each ding with a space or two. You could also add a colorful background on a separate bottom layer if desired. If you prefer, you could create multiple layers with one or several dings on each layer (that's what it looked like Jayse had done).

Once you've created your ding storage document, you can copy any of the dings from it to a new document for future projects. To do that, click on the Type tool, then select one of your dings and copy it to the clipboard. Now paste it into a new document. Since you selected the ornamental ding in the type layer, with the Type Tool active, it will still be a vector and can be resized without losing any quality.

It's past my bedtime now :-) I'll check tomorrow to see if you have any questions or Richard will probably be around to help as well.

Good Luck! Sounds like what you're trying to learn will be fun!

Return to posts index

Margaret Col
on Oct 6, 2009 at 9:17:33 am

Thankyou so much. I will be very busy in the next couple of weeks, and will try and get to squeeze this in. Wish my laptop had a bigger hhd and more ram then could take it with me and to try this, but its old and will not cope with photoshop. As soon as I can I will let you know how I got on. I really appreciate your help

Return to posts index

Art Doerge
on Oct 6, 2009 at 8:19:40 pm

Will be looking forward to your success post Margaret! :-)

Return to posts index

Eddy Monstrota
on Dec 20, 2009 at 11:54:29 pm

Crap, I wish I had read all of this a month ago. I wanted to do this and couldn't figure it out. Gonna try it out tomorrow.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]