FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need Smaller File Sizes

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Linda O'Connell
Need Smaller File Sizes
on Aug 5, 2009 at 1:56:10 am

I have some pictures taken on a digital camera that are around 2-4MB. I need these files to be closer to 5-600KB. I tried changing the image size to 1952x1381..in the past that has worked for me, but the file size is still huge.

One example of a file is:
Pixel Dim: 8.18M
Width: 1952
Height: 1464
Doc Size:
Width: 27.11 inches
Height: 20.33 inches
Resolution: 72pixel/inch

Any idea what I need to change? I am using this to make a slideshow on Sony Vegas and it doesn't allow for files this big.
Thank you in advance.

Return to posts index

Mike Jones
Re: Need Smaller File Sizes
on Aug 5, 2009 at 8:42:59 am

Have you changed the compression of your jpegs? Try using quality '6' when it comes to saving. You can also use the 'save for web' option, this is really good for getting screen res images with small file sizes.

Mike Jones LBIPP

Marine Photographer

Return to posts index

Linda O'Connell
on Aug 5, 2009 at 12:09:01 pm

That was the problem.. somehow it was at Largest file size without me knowing it. Thanks for your help. It is now at 600 KB exactly what I need.

Return to posts index

David Johnson
on Aug 7, 2009 at 1:15:46 am

Since Vegas is video editing software and video is generally no bigger than 720x480 (DV) or 720x486 (unless you're working in HD), you will get better quality by reducing the frame size of the images to something closer to that instead of adding more compression to the images. I would reduce the images to something like 800x600 (widthxheight) by going to "image size" from one of the PS menus, which should cut the file sizes in half right off the bat. Then, only lower the JPG compression below 10 if necessary to get the files sizes even smaller.

Return to posts index

Matt Sepeta
on Aug 7, 2009 at 9:02:01 pm

I remember reading somewhere on the COW that you should always scale any still image to 2x your video rez. So I make all my images 1440 x 960, and it looks great and is still pretty small.

Good Day

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]