FORUMS: list search recent posts

RGB to CMYK color conversion help

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
zach blumstein
RGB to CMYK color conversion help
on Jun 30, 2009 at 5:33:51 pm

i have a bunch of 18x24 posters that need to be printed.
Now right of the bat i have no idea what the printer will
need in terms of color profiles, but i did all the art for the poster
in photoshop cs4 using rgb and now i am going to convert to cmyk for delivery to the printer. what is the best way to accomplish this conversion?
and what is a good color profile to use for cmyk output? also i was wondering if i make a new file in cmyk and then copy and paste all my art into this file from my original rgb file will that accomplish the conversion change as well?
thanks
zach blumstein

Return to posts index

Mike Jones
Re: RGB to CMYK color conversion help
on Jul 1, 2009 at 8:35:01 am

One of the best ways to convert RGB to CMYK is to go: Edit: Convert to Profile and make sure the 'intent' is relative colorimetric.

It will preview the conversion for you which should be minimal with this method. Depending on the image, you may just want to thicken the blacks up afterward.

Hope this helps.

Mike Jones LBIPP

Marine Photographer

Return to posts index

Susan Sowers
Re: RGB to CMYK color conversion help
on Jul 15, 2009 at 11:35:49 pm

Zach, probably the fastest way to accomplish RGB to CMYK conversion is to create an Action.

By going into the Windows/Actions pull down menu, you can create a new action, name it and then hit record and convert one of your files from RGB to CMYK and then hit the stop icon, the square.

As far as printer color profiles, if the exact printer cannot be identified, saving in CMYK should get the job done sense it clips the colors to fit the color profile. Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Lisa Walter
Re: RGB to CMYK color conversion
on Dec 3, 2010 at 9:47:20 pm

I know this post is really old, but wanted to post what I found out about the same question I had.

If you open up your RGB PS file and select all layers and link them, them drag that to the new CMYK file it will convert it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]