FORUMS: list search recent posts

Photoshop 101 Questions...

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerry Cast
Photoshop 101 Questions...
on Jun 15, 2009 at 6:50:18 pm

Hi,

Sorry, but I'm in the middle of designing something right now that has to go to the post office, and I'm not experienced enough with Photoshop CS3.

I'm designing a DVD disc face from a .pdf template I downloaded from the printer.

I noticed that my Help files are gone. They are grayed out, so I can't figure out some basic stuff.

1. I simply want to add a photo to the disc face along with the text.

2. When I resize text by scaling with the sides and corners, I noticed it doesn't stay level, but bends with my mouse movements. Is there a way to force solid grid like scaling so I don't have to guess with my eyes after I move it around?

Thanks a lot.
Jerry

Return to posts index

Emily Carmichael
Re: Photoshop 101 Questions...
on Jun 18, 2009 at 12:22:40 am

Do you mean that the aspect ratio of the image changes? Just press shift and it will stay locked. Or click the chain link that appears in the tool options bar above the image as you scale.

You can also press alt to keep the image centered as you scale it.

If the image is truly "bending", then you're accidentally using warp or skew or perspective, not the scale tool, which is what you want.

Return to posts index

Jerry Cast
on Jun 18, 2009 at 10:05:27 am

Hi Emily,

Thanks. Your tips were very helpful, although I still had a tough time trying to accomplish what I needed to do for this project.

After editing video with CS3, a DVD duplicating service sent me a DVD disc template to use in a .pdf format.

Since I don't know Photoshop (CS3), I didn't understand layers.

I opened the .pdf, then started make separate text areas that I then realized automatically became separate layers.

Once I had all the text and one photo where I wanted it, I was instructed to then delete the original .pdf layer that had the DVD safe text area dotted lines.

All was well. But, now, for the 4 panel paper insert that goes into the DVD case, I had to load another template.

The insert is simple one rectangular piece of paper that will be folded in half, so that I have four separate areas for text, fine.

My idea was to use the design that I just did for the face of the actual DVD, and to put that design on the top (front) part of the paper so that it showed through the DVD clear plastic case.

I opened the new template, then opened the design I already had for the DVD disc face and somehow managed to drag the design over into the new, square template.

But, now every time I tried to crop the design (which had a black background layer and all text was yellow) the actual new template was cropping too. This was my main problem.

Then, what was worse, I couldn't figure out how to make another black background (for the yellow text) on the left other side of the new template.

Maybe I should just pay somebody (you?) to help? I submitted the DVD without the insert and just had 200 discs printed because I couldn't get this done and I really needed the discs now.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Jerry

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Jun 20, 2009 at 3:03:31 am

No offense... but buy a book and start from the ground up... you're writing a sonnet here.

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

Jerry Cast
on Jun 20, 2009 at 3:24:44 am

No offense?

Bought a book, joined Lynda.com, tried to get an answer immediately to something I didn't understand, and tried to be clear.

Anything else you want to complain about?

Jerry Castaldo
http://www.jerrycastaldo.com

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Jun 20, 2009 at 2:37:45 pm

Sure... use the Search feature as well.

Don't use forums as long form personal email

It's raining outside.

I can go on.

Author: Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

Jerry Cast
on Jun 20, 2009 at 2:41:53 pm

Thanks for all your help.

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Jun 20, 2009 at 2:57:42 pm

Emily had already answered your main question.. use Free Transform (Cmd or Control T)

Holding down Shift or Alt works fine to constrain proportions.

You'll also find numerous tutorials in Podcast section on type.

As far as adding a photo, copy paste, file place, drag drop... I assume you've figured out how to get a photo into photoshop by now.

1. You language is inappropriate, as are your threats.
2. I am glad you are investing in building from ground up with a foundation of learning. Deke's titles on Lynda are good.
3. You obviously have no sense of humor since I complained about the rain.

So go ahead. be angry... as a teacher I was trying to teach you HOW to learn... as opposed to just spoon feeding you an answer... if you're going to hang out on forums.. grow a thicker skin.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]