FORUMS: list search recent posts

300 dpi CMYK Image, Text is 5 pt and HUGE.

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jaclyn Allmon
300 dpi CMYK Image, Text is 5 pt and HUGE.
on Apr 7, 2009 at 6:58:55 pm

I am creating a 300 dpi CMYK image and when I try to add text the type is too large for the document even at 5 pt. What can I do to have the text print at 10 pt and fit within the document?? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Abraham Chaffin
Re: 300 dpi CMYK Image, Text is 5 pt and HUGE.
on Apr 7, 2009 at 8:01:13 pm

Perhaps in your Character Window the font width and height is set to something larger than 100%?

Abraham

Return to posts index

Carin Li
CMYK 300 dpi image, not actual size at 100%
on Jun 10, 2009 at 1:10:24 am

Actually my problem is a little different...

I have designed some artwork for print in CMYK at 300 dpi, lets say i am doing a postcard flyer at 4x6 inches. When i set my PS CS2 to CMYK and 300 dpi the work space at 100% is actually way larger than it should actually be.

Could you tell me why and what I need to do to correct this issue?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
Re: CMYK 300 dpi image, not actual size at 100%
on Jun 10, 2009 at 2:13:48 am

Hello Carin,

The reason this happens is because your computer's monitor is defaulted to 72dpi in RGB color space. Nearly everyone's is. In fact, 300dpi monitors are something that I have never seen in my production career. Maybe someone else uses them, like most when I work on magazines, etc., that are 300dpi CMYK projects, I am looking at them at 72dpi on an RGB screen that is calibrated to give me a very close onscreen example to what I am going to get when it prints. (The new issue of Creative COW Magazine is spot on and the printer handed me magazines that are nearly identical to what I see on my screen in InDesign.)

So, basically the issue of the 300-to-72 translation means that it is not a 1-to-1 pixel ratio and so you will not see your 100% setting return a correct "ruler size" when you look at it on the screen. It will be roughly 4-times or so the size you expect to see.

We all get that. It's a pain but you get used to it.

If someone has a solution I am all ears, oh except for all my other organs and extremities, etc.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Creativity is a type of learning process where the teacher and pupil are located in the same individual.

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
- Antoine de Saint Exupéry

Return to posts index

Carin Li
on Jun 10, 2009 at 5:55:44 am

Ron,

Thanks for explaining it in plain english...LOL actualy I read a few posts and tried it in PS. there is a box u uncheck for resizing when u change the dpi and then change the inches and it works it actually goes to its correct size, even tho the ruler is like 4 times too big. I would have to look at the program to tell you step by step. I havent memorized it quite yet. But when I get a chance to I will repost...

Thanks!!!
Regards
Carin

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Jun 10, 2009 at 2:57:21 pm

Yeah, now that you mention it, I recall running into that setting years ago. But I guess it never really bothered me working the way I do and I have so many programs to use that I can't possibly master them all. So, for me, being able to use them to communicate my ideas is good enough, and as the magazine continues to grow and is successful, I guess my use of the monitor settings I use doesn't seem to bother my audience. ;o)

Thanks for the reminder, I think that I'll try it again and see if my eyes appreciate it better today, as my glasses become ever stronger prescriptions and my monitors become bigger and bigger.

Welcome to the COW, Carin.

Ron Lindeboom
creativecow.net

Return to posts index

Noel Powell
on Apr 8, 2009 at 2:12:42 pm

What are the dimensions of your canvas? It could be 300dpi, but if the image is only 1 inch by 1 inch, or 50 pixels by 70 pixels, for example, you're still working with a very small document and any text you add will look huge.

Return to posts index

Jaclyn Allmon
on Apr 9, 2009 at 8:12:57 pm

Thank you for your help. The ad I was working with was entirely too small. Much appreciated.

Return to posts index

marcela chavez
Re: Cmyk 300 dpi image, Text is 5 pt major and.
on May 22, 2009 at 12:47:00 am

Urgeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!

A peguntototota and I urge repsuesta, Q in program can create an image jpg cmyk 300 dpif

Q is a canvas for advertising design, But I asked the q in that format and delivers 10% of original size , If the size of meters away by subway, That size should take my picture , Ojala pudan answer this soon ciao mil grax

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]