FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best PC to buy for extensive photoshop work?

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Russell
Best PC to buy for extensive photoshop work?
on Mar 27, 2009 at 9:32:59 pm

Need to buy a Windows computer (my office IT supports Windows only) for extensive large format Graphic Design work. What is a good budget computer these days for multi-media? -- large print Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator work; probably some Premiere and After Effects too.

I was looking at the Dell Studio MT, $900 range which has a great review for its class on CNET. Next up is XPS 630, good reviews, at twice the price, a gaming computer. Is a gaming computer like the XPS 630 right for what we want, or completely irrelevant to my needs? Or should I look at workstations instead in the $1400 range? Lost, thank you, somebody!

"THE LOST SKELETON OF CADAVRA" -

And more...

Return to posts index

Abraham Chaffin
Re: Best PC to buy for extensive photoshop work?
on Mar 30, 2009 at 8:18:29 pm

A gaming machine generally is similar to what your need for a video editing machine.

Most machines now have a good multi core processor with good ram and a nice video card which are the key essentials for a video machine. In my opinion, if you have extra money to throw at it and especially if you are going to run Vista, get extra ram as this will always speed up your work when dealing with large graphics or videos.

Both the machines you posted will do well.

HP has been doing a lot lately in developing their machines for animators and media professionals so you might check their site for options as well.

Abraham

Return to posts index

Paxson Woelber
on Mar 31, 2009 at 7:43:11 pm

For graphic design, at least as important as your machine is your monitor. Even the best laptop screens are really pretty poor compared to a decent monitor. The color accuracy just isn't there.

So I would say that, unless you're just designing for the web, don't worry too much about your machine and focus instead on getting a solid monitor and color calibration tools.

Return to posts index

Joanne Lefkowitz
on Sep 8, 2009 at 3:07:43 pm

Can you recommend a good monitor calibration tool? Thanks.

Joanne

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]