FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adobe Photoshop removing white background

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Karen Tallman
Adobe Photoshop removing white background
on Jan 8, 2009 at 7:34:59 pm

I am VERY new to Adobe Photoshop CS4 and need basic help. I have a jpeg logo that is basically the shape of a shield surrounded by a white box in the background. All I want to know, is how do I have just the image of my logo shield, without the dreaded white box??? I have searched and read through all sorts of "help" and can't figure it out.

Thanks!!

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
Re: Adobe Photoshop removing white background
on Jan 16, 2009 at 11:11:03 pm

Where are you going to use your logo?

JPEG does not support transparency. Usually you need to have the logo in PSD format and then add the background color you need.

To remove the white from your logo try the magic wand tool, click on the background. It will select all the white pixels.

Then, invert your selection. Look in the menu Select/invert.

In your Layer window double click your Background Layer. It will convert it in a layer (the name will not be in italics anymore).

At the bottom of the Layer window there is an icon for creating a new mask. Click on it and your selection should be converted into a mask, letting the background transparent for your logo. The transparent background in photoshop is represented with little grey squares.

Save it as a PSD file.

If you need it, for example, with a yellow background just create a new layer, put it behind your logo, fill it with yellow and save as your document as JPEG or TIFF. Remember add a descriptive name as: LogoBgYellow.jpg

Some software accept PSD files with transparency. Also, if you are working for the web, GIF files can be exported with transparent pixels.

Return to posts index

Colleen Riddell
on Apr 13, 2009 at 3:05:51 pm

If I have white in my logo is my only
option to outline the entire thing and
make it a path. Also when I save it to a gif
it still has a white background?

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on Apr 13, 2009 at 6:33:56 pm

You can export a GIF with transparency.

Just make your logo a layer and delete the background. Then, use the "Save for web and devices" tool in PS to export as a GIF. Be sure to check the transparency option.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]