FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to add background to text?

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Taylor
How to add background to text?
on Nov 13, 2008 at 1:18:42 pm

Hi,

New Photoshop6 user. Long-time Photodeluxe3 user, but can't get it to install on new Vista x64 so trying to learn the bare basics of Photoshop. All I ever do is upload 4mb picture from camera, crop to 8 x 10 or 10 x 8, adjust brightness & contrast, occasionally change hue, add text (such as the date), highlight background behind text with Photodeluxe brush tool, make sure pixels are 800 x 1000 and save. Nothing fancy. Could do in my sleep with Photodeluxe, but don't know how to do in Photoshop. Can I brush in a new background color to highlight text with Photoshop?

Something like this: http://www.fototime.com/209C3A399829B4E/standard.jpg

Thanks,
jt

Return to posts index

TC Perchert
Re: How to add background to text?
on Nov 13, 2008 at 3:26:32 pm

Yes. With an Outer Glow layer style you can achieve the same thing. You can also add a stroke if you choose.
TC

Return to posts index

John Taylor
on Nov 13, 2008 at 11:10:06 pm

TC,

Thanks for your reply!

However, it was 'above my head' and I don't yet have the expertise to understand it.

I've ordered "The Complete Idiot's Guide To Adobe Photoshop 6" and maybe that will help.

Thanks again!

jt

Return to posts index

Sytse Zijlstra
on Dec 11, 2008 at 11:27:11 am

Ok, let's take it step by step. I have a Dutch version of photoshop CS2, so it might be that I didn't translate the terms correctly and some of the options might not be available to you. However, I started out on an english version of photoshop 6, and I don't expect any problems, because what you're trying to do is very basic.

So, here we go... :)

In my opinion, the easiest way to open files in photoshop is to open the folder that contains the file(s) in windows and then just drag the file(s) onto the main editor window in photoshop.

To crop your image you can use several methods. You can change the canvas size by pressing CTRL+ALT+C or go to IMAGE - CANVAS SIZE. If you decrease the canvas size your image will be croped. You could also use the rectangular selection tool (M). In the toolbar at the top you can change the selection style from normal to set dimensions or a set size, like 1000 x 800. So, you can select the part of the image you want and then copy it into a new file (CTRL+C - CTRL+N - CTRL+V). You can change the image size by pressing CTRL+ALT+I or go to IMAGE - IMAGE SIZE.

There are a lot of ways to adjust contrast, hue and such in photoshop. You can find those option by going to IMAGE - ADJUSTMENTS.

Adding a highlight to your text is very easy. Create a new text layer (T and drag a text box) and type the text you want. After that, double click on the layer in the layers palette (Don't double click on the icon or the layer name, this will bring up other options), or go to LAYER - LAYER STYLE - OPTIONS FOR BLENDING. This will bring up the layer style window. Now select drop shadow, outer glow or stroke and play around with the settings until your satisfied.

Good luck! ;)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]