FORUMS: list search recent posts

how can I trace and edge and get a perfect line?

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nelson May
how can I trace and edge and get a perfect line?
on Nov 6, 2008 at 8:25:03 pm

I am a pretty good shooter and editor, and am trying hard to learn CS3. I am running out of time. I have a graphic that I lassoed but it has undulating edges. I would like a line to trace around the edges and have a continuous pixel width/depth, but have nice smooth curves. I have used the blur tool, but can't get what I want. I found out how to get the glow around the image, and get a glow or stoke to form in the blending properties of the layer, but can't get the stroke to the desired with I want.

I am under the gun here. Any help will be appreciated.

G5, 1.7, 4MB RAM, 30"cine, G4, 1.6 2MB RAM, Mbox, Neumann TLM-103, FCP HD 5. Pro Tools, Adobe Creative Suite, Reason 3.0, Macromedia Studio, ProAnimator, HVX200 with Firestore v4.0

Return to posts index

Greg Lindsey
Re: how can I trace and edge and get a perfect line?
on Nov 7, 2008 at 11:43:59 pm

If I understand you, you want a line with smooth curves around your graphic. Perhaps you could use the stroke style in the Layer Style box. Double click to the right of the layer icon in the layers palette to access that and you'll find stroke style at the bottom. From there you can choose different blending methods.

Return to posts index

Sytse Zijlstra
Re: how can I trace and edge and get a perfect line?
on Dec 11, 2008 at 12:00:15 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the problem here is that the stroke effect isn't smooth, because the layer edges aren't smooth. To get smooth layer edges you should cut out your images carefully. The lasso tool is not a very good method for this. I like to use the pen tool. It will create super smooth edges and is really easy to work with once you get the hang of it. Here's how to use the pen tool:

http://www.melissaclifton.com/tutorial-pentool.html

http://www.melissaclifton.com/tutorial-pentool2.html

Good luck! ;)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]