FORUMS: list search recent posts

Keeping color, removing gradient :)

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Björn Lind
Keeping color, removing gradient :)
on Jul 15, 2008 at 3:44:24 pm

Hello!

I've got a little problem. I created a blood splatter picture inside of photoshop and I'd like to use it in one of my videos. However, the blood splatter color was made with a gradient and now I'd like to get rid of that gradient but still keep the color of the blood.
You can view my bloodsplatter picture here: http://i38.tinypic.com/bi8fvr.jpg

Maybe there is some color correction effect in after effects that i can use? Im kind of new to after effects and photoshop so I'd be very happy if you could help me :)

PS: I wasn't sure if I was gonna post this in the after effects forum or the photoshop forum so redirect me if i'm wrong

Thanks in advance,
Björn

Return to posts index

Tom Hepburn
Re: Keeping color, removing gradient :)
on Jul 16, 2008 at 2:54:55 pm

A quick question: is this blood on it's own layer still? If so either program will work. There are a couple of ways to do it.

1)In PS you could sample the color in the blood that you want to keep, select the layer and simply (edit>)fill.

2) or in either program you could crush the levels to black so your left with with a flat color (or lack of color in this case) then, image>adjust>hue/saturation and click the "colorize" box and adjust to the red you want. You could also do it the same way in AfterEffects, but you could save yourself a bit of rendering time but doing it in PS.

T

Return to posts index

Björn Lind
on Jul 16, 2008 at 4:43:54 pm

As you said, the gradient was applied to the background layer and then the blood was created on 2 different layers, one with the multiply function. These two blood layers has been put into one same set/group.

Maybe I didnt put my words right before, but what I want to do is to keep the color of the blood exactly as it is with the gradient. BUT, I want the background of the blood to be transparent so I can use it in a movie. So actully it is like this: I want to keep the gradient of the blood but remove it from the background.

Return to posts index

Tom Hepburn
on Jul 16, 2008 at 5:23:22 pm

OK, I think I understand.

First save another version so you don't lose the original.

Here is what I would do, select blood layer #1 by, ctrl click on PC, or opt click on a mac...I think) first. Then shift, ctrl or opt click the blood layer #2. You now should have both layers as a selection. Next shift click each layer in the layer palette so they are all selected and go to the drop down menu at the top right of the layer palette and > merge layers. Now you have 1 layer with the blood as a selection while maintaining it's multiply overlay. Inverse your selection under select and delete and you should be left with one layer of the just he blood with no background and the look that you had with all of the previous layers. You may already know some of the above, but I wanted to make sure my response makes complete sense. Let me know if it doesn't. Also, I'm sure this isn't the ONLY way to do this, but it is how I would do it.
Hope it helps,
Tom

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]