FORUMS: list search recent posts

Soft brushes troubleshooting in Photoshop

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicolette Leckie
Soft brushes troubleshooting in Photoshop
on Jul 14, 2008 at 6:28:36 pm

Hi, I seem to be having a problem in Photoshop. I have been using this software for the past 8 years, and this is the first time i have encountered this problem. Every time i use my soft brush or my gradient tool, there seems to be hards lines / rings around what I have drawn. I have checked all my settings, blending modes etc and they are all correct. Am i completely missing something. Its driving me insane. I have even deleted my Photoshop settings and started from the beginning, but this has not helped.

thanks

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
Re: Soft brushes troubleshooting in Photoshop
on Jul 14, 2008 at 9:26:54 pm

If you blur the gradient/soft brush with Gaussian Blur does it improve or is there no change? Did you get a new monitor recently?

Darby Edelen
Lead Designer
Left Coast Digital
Santa Cruz, CA

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Jul 15, 2008 at 1:13:58 am

Look in Brushes control and see if you have Wet Edges option checked

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

Vincent Cahyadi
on Aug 16, 2010 at 6:09:11 am

if the wet edges appears offline...what should i do?

Return to posts index

Nicolette Leckie
on Jul 15, 2008 at 8:49:28 am

Hi, yes my machine is only 1 month old, but have been using it every day and have not had a problem. I have checked every possible setting, and it is still doing it. The only thing I did yesterday, was change my appearance to windows aero, and I am sure this wouldnt have caused the problem. I have since changed it back to windows vista basic and still see the 'hard lines'.. I am going to reinstall the adobe package, dont know if something has gone wrong there.

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Jul 15, 2008 at 6:59:02 pm

I'd really like to help, but I don't think you answered either of my questions. Does the problem improve if you blur the brush after the fact? Are you saying that the soft brushes appear to have hard edges relative to the way they looked previously on this same computer or on a different computer? Have you ever not had this problem on this computer?

Additionally, are you working in at least 8-bit per channel RGB or CMYK? Not bitmap or indexed color? Check under the Image > Mode menu.

Darby Edelen
Lead Designer
Left Coast Digital
Santa Cruz, CA

Return to posts index

Nicolette Leckie
on Jul 15, 2008 at 7:11:37 pm

Hi, if i blur it, it still seems to keep a distinct 'border' around it. If i use the gradient tool and run from black to white - it leaves a 'pink looking' solid line at the end of the gradient. I have recently got a new pc, and never had this problem on my previous machine, but have just realised that this is the first time i am using the soft brush on my new computer.. Going back to your previous post - Could this be a monitor problem? How do i rectify it?
Settings are defaulted to 8-bit per channel RGB.
thanks

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Jul 15, 2008 at 7:55:41 pm

More likely than not it's a problem relating to your display, which I'm guessing is probably an LCD.

Most LCD displays use fewer than 24-bits to describe colors on screen in order to maintain a high refresh rate and, while they have built-in dithering methods to try and reduce the appearance of banding, LCDs will generally display more banding than CRTs... and one LCD may display more banding than another.

The 'pink' line you describe (does it appear at the white end of the gradient?) might be resolved if you properly color calibrate your display, but I can't guarantee that.

Darby Edelen
Lead Designer
Left Coast Digital
Santa Cruz, CA

Return to posts index

Nicolette Leckie
on Jul 16, 2008 at 8:34:23 am

Hi, yes it does appear at the white end. It seems to only appear when using the soft brush, or the feathering tool. I have searched long and hard to find a solution as far as callaboration (this is far to technical for me) I have a Dell 22inch lcd monitor. How can i attach a sample for you to see?

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Jul 16, 2008 at 5:07:48 pm

Upload the image to a photo hosting service such as photobucket, imageshack or flickr. Then include the link in a post here. If it is a problem with your monitor then any image you post should look fine on my monitor, unless you had a CRT before and just aren't accustomed to working with LCDs.

Darby Edelen
Lead Designer
Left Coast Digital
Santa Cruz, CA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]