FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to make a rose darker??

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Polack
How to make a rose darker??
on Jul 11, 2008 at 5:37:56 am

Hi,

I have some photos of red roses that are very bright red.

I want to change them to a darker deeper red but having a lot of trouble.

Methods used have been:

1.) Selecting Roses via Color Range
2.) playing with the hue/saturation (and colorise) options....

No matter how hard I try all I seem to be able to do is make very bright coloured roses ....bright yellow...bright blue...bright orange etc etc!

But I just can't make them a darker and deeper red.

Any clues? Should I be using another tool/option?

Return to posts index

William Sticht
Re: How to make a rose darker??
on Jul 11, 2008 at 12:14:03 pm

Try using levels or curves after you have selected the red or your roses and then tweak from there. When in levels or curves you can try selecting the individual channels for extra effect.

Or try using the burn tool

Fritz

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
Re: How to make a rose darker??
on Jul 14, 2008 at 10:03:10 pm

I wouldn't recommend using the burn tool in this case.

Make your selection using color range if you like, then create a Black & White adjustment layer and a Curves adjustment layer. The Black & White adjustment layer should use your selection as a mask, you can then copy that layer mask onto the Curves adjustment layer. If the transitions between the adjustments are too harsh then you can 'feather' your mask after the fact by selecting the layer mask and using the Gaussian Blur filter to ease the transitions between black (unaffected) and white (affected).

Reduce the Fill on the Black & White layer significantly to something like 20% (at 100% it will completely desaturate the roses, at 0% it will have no effect). You can then play with your Curves adjustment layer to change the red/green/blue levels in the roses.

You could also use a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer if you want to adjust the hue that way, but I find that Black & White is much better for adjusting saturation.

An alternative method might be to use the layer mask created in the above process on a dark red solid layer, set its blending mode to Multiply and reduce its Fill %.

Darby Edelen
Lead Designer
Left Coast Digital
Santa Cruz, CA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]