PS 8.0 suddenly running sloooow
I hate to bother anybody with this but suddenly PS 8.0 (installed with my CS license) has started running very, very slow. In fact, if I look at the CPUs in Task Manager, it's consuming 35% of both CPUs when just sitting there without any files being open and maxes out with just moving the mouse around. As a point of interest, on another machine, again just sitting there without any files open, PS is using less than 5% - and it's a single CPU machine.
Anyway, the problem machine is about 3 years old, has a pair of the original Xeon 2.2 CPUS, has 2 gigs of RAM, and the system drive is a 10k RPM SCSI drive (and although it's only a 36-gig drive, it's about 50% free and is defragmented weekly). The scratch disks are a pair of 7200RPM SCSI drive running on a separate SCSI bus, and both of these drives are about 95% free and defragmented.
FWIW, things have been fine until this past week when it suddenly got intolerably slow. Naturally I've rebooted (I don't do this often, it's running XP Pro and has been toruble free). PC Tools Registry Mechanic and Spyware Doctor with Antivirus, are running and both give the computer a clean bill of health.
Unfortunately, I'm reduced to thinking about re-installing PS 8.0, or even uninstalling and installing it from scratch.
One last data point, with Task Manager open on Peformance so I can observe the CPU graphs, with PS 8.0 open, the CPUs show 35%, but if I pull down File, or Edit, or simply select Preferences, etc. the CPUs drop to 2% and stay there until I close it whereupon CPU use promptly shoots back 35-40%, i.e. showing both CPUs running like mad. Also, for what it's worth, I downloaded and installed the most recent multi-CPU patch from Adobe with no change (yes, I follwed directions and first removed the existing patch from c:program filesadobeadobe photoshop csplug-inextensions and copied the new on in and restarted PS 8.0).
In Preferences, Cache Level is set to 4, and Available RAM is 1772 with 75% being dedicated to PS. I've changed this to 50% and 95% with no change.
I recently added a Western-Digital MyBook 2 terrabyte drive, which hangs on the router (gigabit ethernet), formatted as a RAID1 so effectively it's 1 terrabyte, which slows getting files when we open them but whouldn't affect anything once the file is open. As an experiment, I copied a file to the C: drive, shut off the network drive, rebooted, restarted PS and it made no difference - heavy sigh.
I'm pulling out my hair and frankly, I'm out of ideas.