FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trying to export project as a Jpeg file...

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chuck Purnell
Trying to export project as a Jpeg file...
on Jan 11, 2008 at 12:15:28 am

So I imported 2 pictures and edited them the way I wanted the final to look which meant I needed to cut the background out of one picture and replace with the background with picture #2. That much I understand. Its the export that is buggin me. When I clicked SAVE AS, I saved it as a JPEG file and then saved it to my desktop. When I double click on the file on my desktop, instead of it just opening up, it opens Photoshop instead! I am trying to email the picture to someone and they don't have photoshop!

Since this final picture is a layered file, do I need to flatten the image first? What am I doing wrong in the export side of things?

Thanks

Cre8tive Minds Entertainment, LLC

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: Trying to export project as a Jpeg file...
on Jan 11, 2008 at 3:29:37 am

JPEGs don't hold layers, so a layered Photoshop file will automatically flatten when saved as a JPEG. You'll notice that the Layers option in the Save dialogue is greyed out when JPEG is selected.
It probably is a JPEG.
I'm thinking you might have allowed Photoshop to be the default viewer for JPEG files, on your system. I'm not sure how to change this setting on a Mac.
It might help to set your OS to display file extensions (again, not sure hot to do this on Mac).
Try opening the image with a web browser. You should be able to drag the file on to one of your browser icons.

Vince

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
Re: Trying to export project as a Jpeg file...
on Jan 16, 2008 at 6:13:03 am

[Vincent Rosati] "I'm thinking you might have allowed Photoshop to be the default viewer for JPEG files, on your system. I'm not sure how to change this setting on a Mac."

On Mac OS X, Photoshop claims the right to open any file that was saved by it... without changing the default application for the file type. My guess is that it embeds some extra information in the file that the OS uses to determine that the file was saved by Photoshop.

You can right click the file and select another application from the "Open With" contextual menu to open the file in another application this one time only.

You can also select the file and go to File > Get Info (cmd-I) and change the selected application in the "Open with:" section of the dialog to something else (you can also tell the OS to open all files of this type with the specified application).

However, I'm almost certain that your file is a JPEG and will open properly on the destination computer (especially if it's a Mac, since Preview will even open layered PSDs... it just won't allow you to edit them).

If you're still concerned then you should use the "Save For Web..." option in Photoshop since this doesn't embed the additional information and produces a 'generic' JPEG (and produces smaller file size).

[Vincent Rosati] "It might help to set your OS to display file extensions (again, not sure hot to do this on Mac)."

To do this on a Mac, first make sure you're in the Finder, then go to the Finder menu and select "Preferences..." (or press cmd-,) go to the Advanced tab and check "Show all file extensions"

Darby Edelen
Designer
Left Coast Digital
Santa Cruz, CA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]