FORUMS: list search recent posts

Photoshop PAR

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kippard_snax
Photoshop PAR
on Dec 14, 2007 at 9:55:36 pm

I have Widescreen project frame exports from Premiere which are 4:3. How do I get them to be permanently 16:9 in Photoshop (they can be previewed 16:9, but they export back in 4:3).

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: Photoshop PAR
on Dec 16, 2007 at 7:33:45 pm

I'm on a PC. My Premiere frame exports save as BMP files which, I believe, don't hold PAR data. So, any App is just guessing it's aspect ratio, including Premiere.

In Premiere's project window, right click on the image and Interpret Footage/Conform to 16:9. This might be what you want.?

Or
In PS CS or above, open a new document and choose a widescreen preset. Open the original, copy and paste it into the widescreen file and resize with View/Snap enabled. However, this is a resampling of the image, so I don't recommend it.

Vince

~The files are INSIDE the computer?

Return to posts index

kippard_snax
on Dec 21, 2007 at 1:24:11 am

Seems odd that I can't change the AR of a layer in photoshop - that all widesceen settings are for preview purposes(on the new doc., too). Preview for what, since you can never render in 16:9? Irrespective thanks.

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Dec 26, 2007 at 9:00:21 pm

[kippard_snax] "Seems odd that I can't change the AR of a layer in photoshop - that all widesceen settings are for preview purposes(on the new doc., too). Preview for what, since you can never render in 16:9?"

It is for preview because an NTSC or PAL display device works with only one resolution of image regardless of what the final aspect ratio is. In NTSC DV the resolution of the image is always 720x480, so by default Photoshop maintains this resolution for the PSD whether you're working on a 4:3 or 16:9 image.

The difference between 4:3 and 16:9 is the pixel aspect ratio, which describes the shape of the pixel on the display device. On a 4:3 NTSC display the pixels are 0.9 times as wide as they are tall and on a 16:9 NTSC display the pixels are 1.2 times as wide as they are tall. Photoshop scales your image horizontally for display only when you are previewing a certain pixel aspect ratio in order to show you what the image should look like on a display with that pixel aspect ratio.

If Premiere doesn't automatically detect the pixel aspect ratio then there should be some way to tell Premiere to interpret the footage correctly.

Basically, the end display device renders the 720x480 image as either 16:9 or 4:3 depending on its pixel aspect ratio, you just need to be aware of this while you are creating the image so that it displays the way you intended it.

Darby Edelen
Designer
Left Coast Digital
Santa Cruz, CA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]