FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pencil Brush preset

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Derk
Pencil Brush preset
on Dec 14, 2007 at 6:53:54 pm

Hey,

I've been doing some animating lately, but I make most of my initial images in PS. Well, sort of. If I want something that genuinely looks like it was drawn with a pencil, I find that PS falls way short and I have to draw and scan to get the image I want.

Does anybody have any recommendations for brush presets that match the look of a pencil? (Ideally, I'd want to have several, so I could have 2B, 4B, ... etc.)

What I don't want to do is draw something, and then apply filters to it to make it look like it was drawn with a pencil. I want the brush itself to look like a pencil.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

PS. I have CS3, but I haven't tried anything new in it that I didn't try in CS2. Not that I found every good technique in CS2...

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: Pencil Brush preset
on Dec 16, 2007 at 8:40:42 pm

One of the big tricks with getting Photoshop to produce authentic strokes is using a pressure sensitive pen with Shape Dynamics and Texture enabled. And, of course, picking a color that matches the graphite you want.

The linked file is about 125kb, layered, and has a few effects on the layers.
http://www.newinelabs.com/rosati/tutorials/Pressure_Pen.tif

Vince

~The files are INSIDE the computer?

Return to posts index

Mike Derk
on Dec 17, 2007 at 12:19:00 am

Yes -- I have a Wacom. But I was hoping for a bit of guidance about how to set up the brush preset.

Your file looks pretty good. Did you apply effects after you drew it?

Mike

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
on Dec 17, 2007 at 11:53:22 pm

Here's a new work file with notes on how to create it, and a brush preset (.abr) file. If you happen to develop these files any further, I'd love it if you would post them or email them to me. :) vince (at) newinelabs.com
It only has a "2B" preset, but you could easily modify it to create the other pencils.

http://www.newinelabs.com/rosati/tutorials/Technical_Pencils.zip
1.8 MB

As far as the effects in the original file, I applied the Bevel & Emboss after drawing, but you can draw into that layer while the effect is active.
The yellow legal paper was just a tile pattern I made.

I think this pencil preset would look real nice on top of a good scan of paper.

Vince

~The files are INSIDE the computer?

Return to posts index

Mike Moon
on Jan 18, 2011 at 11:57:02 pm

Do you have this download still? Does anyone know how to create this effect? I know it's 3-4 years later but maybe someone perfected this for cs5?

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
on Jan 19, 2011 at 12:25:50 am

Her you go! :)

A layered TIFF using the styles/settings:
1512_pspressurepen.tif.zip

The Photoshop ABR Brush settings file:
1513_pstechnicalpencils.zip

This was done in CS2, I think. Hopefully it works for you.

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

Jacob Roberts
on Mar 4, 2013 at 5:12:38 pm

This was done in CS2, I think. Hopefully it works for you.

Unfortunately the brush package, technical pencils doesn't seem to load in CS5. Is there an updated version somewhere?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]