FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resizing by a newbie - be gentle with me

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Godfrey Pye
Resizing by a newbie - be gentle with me
on Sep 25, 2007 at 9:25:04 pm

I'm a film editor and I have a Photoshop template for making a title scroll.
The template was made at 720x480 and it is made up of a number of layers.

I want to make the scroll - well, scroll in After Effects, but at a size of 1440 x 1080, with non square pixels.
I know how to do the After Effects part but I am fairly clueless about Photoshop matters.

Basically, I would like to 'uprez' the titles in Photoshop (CS3) before I import the finished work to AE.
Does anyone know if/how I might manage this, from setting the appropriate size in Photoshop.

Please,

Godfrey Pye
Mulholland Bays - in the Hollywood Hills

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Twitchmonkey
Re: Resizing by a newbie - be gentle with me
on Sep 26, 2007 at 12:37:05 am

Well, first, to increase the size of the image go to Image->Image Size.

Then, to change the pixel aspect ratio, go to Image->Pixel Aspect Ratio and set it to what you need.

Of course, because you're changing the proportions of the pixel, and you're changing the size of the image, you're going to get some blurring and distortion. The distortion can be dealt with using the Edit->Transform tools, and you can somewhat see to any possible blurring with an unsharp mask or other sharpen filter.

However, for best results, always see to it that your pixel aspect ratio and size are set properly before starting. I assume you didn't have this option as you were using a template, but keep that in mind if you ever decide to make something from scratch in Photoshop.

Hope this helps,

Twitch

Return to posts index

Godfrey Pye
on Sep 26, 2007 at 12:54:57 pm

Thank you very much Twitch, I had no idea.
This'll be of enormous help.
Godfrey

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Sep 27, 2007 at 12:54:14 pm

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!

Sorry to be so emphatic but that is NOT how the PAR menu works... it is NOT a convert... rather an interpret...

Changing it there does not reshape your pixels .. it only changes how they are viewed. You must MANUALLY distort first... (ie 720 X 540 resize to 720 x 486 and then reinterepret those as D1). That menu simply changes how the image appears on your computer monitor and has NOTHING to do with how it displays in a video environment,

Plus... unless your text is all vector.... you can't up rez

And if it IS vector... then simply import into AE and use Layer > Convert Photoshop Text to Vector (or something close to that)

Return to posts index

Twitchmonkey
on Sep 27, 2007 at 7:13:06 pm

That is why I said to set the pixel aspect ratio beforehand, so you can get the proper dimensions in your desired output. Unless you view it in the aspect ratio you intend to export to, you can be sure that your image looks correct.

Return to posts index

Godfrey Pye
on Sep 27, 2007 at 9:31:32 pm

Well all I know is that I did exactly what Twitchmonkey said - and it came out looking great.
I thank you both for your learned input.
Godfrey

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Sep 28, 2007 at 1:04:21 pm

You are both using that command wrong... it is an INTERPRET command... not a CONVERT command. You can not CHANGE pixel aspect ratio with this menu item.... only reinterpret an image that is not displaying correctly that has the PAR assigned by another application or native video format.

With that said... I know the topic is confusing... and I have written and trained and consulted on it EXTENSIVELY

You are using this wrong.... I am through commenting on this thread

Return to posts index

Godfrey Pye
on Sep 28, 2007 at 1:32:49 pm

Well don't go away mad Richard. Oh, too late!
You may be right, you may be wrong, but in my ignorance I now have a great looking 1440 x 1080 scroll via Photoshop and AE, thanks to the excellent tips I received.
Once again thank you, I appreciate the passion you have applied to my question.
I am officially a happy bunny.

Over and out.

Godfrey

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]