FORUMS: list search recent posts

Are there "standard" broadcast graphics specs?

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
shyguyjay18
Are there "standard" broadcast graphics specs?
on Aug 22, 2007 at 1:27:45 am

Hey all:

This is more of a general graphics question moreso than Photoshop specific. I am constantly dealing with clients who supply me with their logo. It's for use on broadcast television. Usually I'm stuck working with a jpeg image. The question I am always asked by the client is "How big does it have to be?"

I know it depends on how much screen space it's going to take up and how it was compressed, but is there at least a ballpark answer I can be giving? Usually I just say "the bigger the better" and they send me a little 10k jpeg.

Assuming the logo will be fullscreen, what guide of reference can I give that will make some sort of sense? I'll often say "over 50k would be good" but even that's a crapshoot.

Jay

Return to posts index

Abraham
Re: Are there "standard" broadcast graphics specs?
on Aug 28, 2007 at 8:42:47 pm

Hey Jay,

Standard for Broadcast in the US is NTSC which is 720 pixels x 480 pixels so that is generally the way to go about describing the size.

A lot of people shoot out they want a certain DPI but that doesn't make sense because you can have a tiny image at a high DPI or a super large image at a small DPI. So if you have the minimum pixel requirements you should be fine. If you want to throw in that you want a high quality image is good as well in case you're dealing with someone who might know about exporting graphics.

Abraham

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: Are there "standard" broadcast graphics specs?
on Aug 29, 2007 at 11:46:17 am

Standard is NOT 720 X 480... that is for DV and DVCAM or DVCPRO

MOST broadcasters use 720 X 486

There is NO SUCH THING as dpi in video graphics (or Photoshop for that matter)

Photoshop uses PPI (or pixels per inch).

There are TONS of replies on this topic in archives... do a search please.
You can also pick up one of the overly detailed books on subject or take a look at weekly podcast series.

Do get you started

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]